Flashing Mark IV with Arduino

Right so I went out and bought myself an Arduino, now I have no idea how to wire it..

I figured it would be marked tx rx & GND but there are a whole bunch of GND spots and also im not sure how to make it 3.3v because its 5v but it does have a place marked 3.3v.

Is there a tut anywhere or can someone point me to where I can learn some more about what I need specifically? Really struggling to find much about it..

thanks

Dave

Sorry I'm new to messing with hardware!

What do you mean by PIN? Are your referring to the arduino board? I was under the impression that it powers from the USB only?

or do I need to take part of the board off?

Sorry about this I realise now I'm in deeper than I'm used to!

Thanks for your help!

Dave

If someone can walk me through this successfully on Skype I would be happy to make a small donation for your time! Let me know,

From googling about the PIN I'm reading that the arduino can be powered by the vin pin externally, is this what I need to do? How can I do this?

Thanks again!

Okay so I can power the arduino at 5v and the ap121u plugged in from the socket?

I thought that the power going through the tx and rx would be 5v from the arduino and therefore would brick the ap121u?

Or is it just usually okay to flash with 5v uart?

Thank you!

there is no "real" tension (voltage) passing through tx or rx... if you connect to your pineapple using only tx and rx, you should be able to dialog with the interface, whitout worring about vcc.. Don't panic, you are not going to brick anything (you can't de-brick!!) ;)

Okay thanks for that I'll give it a go now, you set me at ease about the bricking at least!

Have you done it with arduino? I've never used it before so I'm just gonna try and install it the way or supposed to and then I'm assuming it will just work but if not I'm sure I'll be back :p

Dave

• Make sure you have the alfa board or the hornet-ub board.
  • Connect to your pineapple through serial. Serial Settings: 115200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control
  • If you have bricked your Pineapple or want to flash a new device with our firmware, simply follow the steps below.

• Download the kernel.bin and rootfs.bin from here
    • Set up a tftp server and point it to the downloaded files.
    • Connect to your pineapple through serial. Serial Settings: 115200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control
    • Connect via the pineapples PoE/LAN port (the one closest to the power plug) with your IP set to 192.168.2.11
    • Power on the pineapple.
    • When asked what menu you want to select choose 1.
    • Once you have a prompt issue these commands:
      1. setenv bootargs "board=ALFA console=ttyATH0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd"
      2. saveenv
      3. tftp 0x80600000 kernel.bin
      4. erase 0x9f650000 +0x190000
      5. cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f650000 d695a
      6. tftp 0x80600000 rootfs.bin
      7. erase 0x9f050000 +0x600000
      8. cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f050000 23d004
      9. bootm 0x9f650000
      10. reset
      11. reboot
    • Wait for the pineapple to boot and then hit enter to drop into a shell
    • Issue the "passwd" command.
    • Start dropbear: "/etc/init.d/dropbear start"
    • scp over the firmware to /tmp/ (Make sure you are using the POE/LAN port now)
    • execute "sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/upgrade.bin"

There are some boards that you have to swap the tx and rx. But I would make sure that you have your serial settings correct: Serial Settings: 115200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control

Well so do I. I used an arduino uno to flash it over serial. So I know it works. Maek sure you have all the drivers need for arduino, make sure you hooking up the wires correctly, since your using the hornet board you don't need to hook up the voltage wire. just ground tx and rx. If your using the arduino uno make sure you have the settings correct. It will work if there is NO user error. Unless your board just has a mind of its own> me personally I have yet to find one of those.

Edited by deathdealerxx

Have you ever installed a sketch on your arduino? I would go to their website and download the newest drivers just in case. install those new arduino drivers restart your computer and retry. It will be something like COM1, COM2, COM3... so on and so forth. installing the driver is not difficult but not straight forward. But if your issue was driver related and you re install the driver correctly it should help.