Install Python in Wine

newbi3

I am trying to install python 2.7.4 in wine so I can you pyInstaller to create an exe without spinning up a vm. Here is the error I am getting when i run msiexec /i python-2.7.4.msi

fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:sxs:cache_QueryAssemblyInfo 0x1471d0, 0x00000002, L"Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version=\"9.0.21022.8\",publicKeyToken=\"1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\",processorArchitecture=\"x86\",type=\"win32\"", 0x32f988
fixme:sxs:cache_QueryAssemblyInfo 0x1471d0, 0x00000002, L"policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version=\"9.0.21022.8\",publicKeyToken=\"1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\",processorArchitecture=\"x86\",type=\"win32-policy\"", 0x32f988
fixme:msi:ControlEvent_SpawnWaitDialog Doing Nothing
err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles compressed file wasn't installed (L"C:\\Python27\\Lib\\distutils\\filelist.py")
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallFiles" returned 1603
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603

Has anyone had any success doing this or know of a better way? Also I am running 64bit kali.

Edited by newbi3

python runs in linux natively, and so long as you have the windows source files to compile against, you can compile native exe's for windows under linux. Malware writers do it all the time..lol.

SET I believe does it as well as Metasploit, and I don't think they use wine to get it done. Mubix might have some tips on doing what you're after as well, ping him on twitter, might solve a lot of headaches instead of trying to go the long way around using Wine.

I thought pyinstaller was cross platform according to its change log from 1.3

Add support for cross-compilation: PyInstaller is now able to

build Windows executables when running under Linux. See documentation
for more details.

Source: https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/blob/develop/doc/CHANGES.txt

Update:

Hmmm, this appears to be dropped in later versions and they advise running under wine.

I now see your problem.

You could always try an older version of pyinstaller and see if that works, else I advise filing a ticket (bug ticket) with the pyinstaller team

Edited by midnitesnake