[Release][Stable] 2.8.1 - The Final 2.X Release!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you connecting your pineapple AZP? The best way at first is to let it boot and plug a cat5 cable directly from an open port on your router into the (I think) LAN/WAN port. If it's not LAN/WAN it's the other one...(one pulls DHCP the other is set static, all covered int he manual or many posts here) Access the pineapple from it's broadcasted wifi (should be something like pineapple:XXXX where the Xs are part of the wlan0 MAC address) for upgrading to 2.8.1 and installing infusions.

Since I'm getting an error connection via the CHECK FOR UPGRADES my only option I have is to do a manual file upload to the pineapple with the MD5 code but this seems to be stalling or not working at all. How long does the install normally take? My upgrade via the file upload seems to get stuck, where with the URL is only loading half way.

OK I skinned the cat finally....On the Mac with Safari does not show any install status like the Pineapple flashing, I have Backtrack installed and tried it with Firefox and no go there same issue, I have Windows 7 and tried there and finally the installed worked and a progress Pineapple flashing showed up for the first time to let me know an install was happening and it finally got installed. Next I want to install the "Network Monitor or Manager" module but now I'm getting an error message again. How can I skin this cat again...I'm lost again :(

Error connecting!
Please make sure you have an internet connection.

AZPublishing,

I stole this from someone else's post... http://imgur.com/wjeKMwT

At the top right of that pic it says Interfaces. Do you have an IP address in the WAN/LAN section? Whereas in this pic his is blank. If you do have an IP address there, when you hit the "reveal public IP" button does it reveal your IP address? If it doesn't your pineapple isn't on the internet and of course won't connect. To my knowledge you cannot download infusions via any means other than via the pineapple's interface. I could be wrong but I haven't seen a repository for the infusions.

packeterror

is RIGHT!

My Recommendation: When you sell a new pineapple like mine, which I bought 2 days ago, you should have already installed 2.8.1 and all the modules. Now, I've wasted 2 days just getting 2.8.1 installed had to try 4 different computer systems, 3 operating systems, and had to get new cables for a laptop as well, I probably spent 12 hrs so far and I still can't get any modules installed. This purchase is not something I can recommend to anyone! The Control panel seems like it only works with one operating system Windows and nothing else! The links on your https://wifipineapple.com/?news page none of them work to download modules or install them and the control panel says I'm not connected. That said I hope you see the problems we have to deal with.

I just downloaded a module from the infusions I shared my wifi signal from my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 using the wp4.sh script and I had no problems connecting to the internet. I can also use the WAN/LAN to connect to the internet via my home router using dhcp.

So let me get this right you're blaming your problems on the Hak5 shop? The pineapple is proven to work with many different OS's and browsers, and the servers are obviously working for everyone else... The reason I kept asking for that exact screenshot from you was to prove one way or the other if you were actually connected to the internet. Which you're not.

And to put your request into perspective, when was the last time you purchased a BluRay player or even a new computer from anywhere? They don't update it to the latest settings right before allowing you to purchase it or shipping it to you... You get it, you plug it in to the internet and you update the firmware or software to the latest version. Same thing applies with the pineapple and the hakshop.

Do you have a home router? Does it have an open ethernet port on the back? Plug a cable from your router directly into the WAN/LAN port on the pineapple. Then check the pineapples status page and you should have an IP address assigned from your router in that box. You should then be able to hit the reveal IP button and it should work. Also, make sure karma is off as dethdealerxx suggests so that you can get into the pineapple via it's broadcast wifi to check all of this out.

thesugarat

Not to debate which marketing system works best, as I can show 100's of other products that get delivered out of the box with the latest configuration or has an auto update with no issues. That said, my post was a recommendation and my 2 cents.

As far as your support, Thank you....I'm going to give it a shot <<Plug a cable from your router directly into the WAN/LAN port on the pineapple.>>

Status Page you posted... Left hand side of the screen. You've got Karma and DNS spoofing enabled. Click disable for each. Or just reboot the pineapple, unless you've selected the setting for it those shouldn't come on by default.

packeterror

is RIGHT!

My Recommendation: When you sell a new pineapple like mine, which I bought 2 days ago, you should have already installed 2.8.1 and all the modules. Now, I've wasted 2 days just getting 2.8.1 installed had to try 4 different computer systems, 3 operating systems, and had to get new cables for a laptop as well, I probably spent 12 hrs so far and I still can't get any modules installed. This purchase is not something I can recommend to anyone! The Control panel seems like it only works with one operating system Windows and nothing else! The links on your https://wifipineapple.com/?news page none of them work to download modules or install them and the control panel says I'm not connected. That said I hope you see the problems we have to deal with.

Not sure what you are talking about mate - the UI was developed using a linux machine running chromium. It was tested in firefox, chrome, chromium and safari. If you have having issues with browsers, I assume you have some script blocking plugins, javascript disabled or something else along those lines.

The news page is not always up to date. We do have a download section, supplying you with downloads, MD5s and more. So as far as a manual upgrade goes, I think that is the place to check. We should update the news entries, but things change over time and those are old news items. We are actually changing the news system completely.

Your issue is an ICS issue it seems - I can explain that in more detail if you want. Feel free to hop on irc.hak5.org #pineapple to discuss your issue with me personally.

Finally, why aren't we flashing 2.8.1 to all the devices? Because we have an OTA upgrade feature and are usually staying back a couple of small revisions as we have more feedback on them and know that they will work - at least to upgrade to the latest stable version. Again, if you cannot upgrade OTA, there is no ICS setup / setup wrongly OR some script blocking is active..

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

LOL, now you find out the onboard memory is tiny? Look into a 4gig USB drive... Install all of them over to it. Plenty of posts in here on both topics. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what you are talking about mate - the UI was developed using a linux machine running chromium. It was tested in firefox, chrome, chromium and safari. If you have having issues with browsers, I assume you have some script blocking plugins, javascript disabled or something else along those lines.

The news page is not always up to date. We do have a download section, supplying you with downloads, MD5s and more. So as far as a manual upgrade goes, I think that is the place to check. We should update the news entries, but things change over time and those are old news items. We are actually changing the news system completely.

Your issue is an ICS issue it seems - I can explain that in more detail if you want. Feel free to hop on irc.hak5.org #pineapple to discuss your issue with me personally.

Finally, why aren't we flashing 2.8.1 to all the devices? Because we have an OTA upgrade feature and are usually staying back a couple of small revisions as we have more feedback on them and know that they will work - at least to upgrade to the latest stable version. Again, if you cannot upgrade OTA, there is no ICS setup / setup wrongly OR some script blocking is active..

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seb, I like what you guys have done with the MKIV firmware. I bought mine over a year and a half ago and haven't used it since just after the 2.7.0 firmware came out and this (2.8.1) upgrade was a piece of cake.

For those having problems with space on the pineapple, do yourself a "flavor" and put a USB drive on your pineapple. Storage is coming down inn price big time, I put a 16G Cruzer Fit similar tfio the 4G one you can get at the Hak Shop. Plenty of storage to do whatever you need or want. Instructions for setting up usb drives are found elsewhere on the forums and many places on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the continuted hard work!

Anyone know (Maybe there's a hidden post somewhere that I'm not finding),

I have a super micro 4GB usb flash drive (the one they used to sell in the hakshop) , if I power my Pineapple VIA my laptop, I can access the USB no prob. But if i power the MarkIV by Pineapple Juice, I cant access it. Any ideas?