It's Beta time!

Hey everyone,

It's time for another round of beta testing again!

I'm sorry if I disappoint anyone by saying that this is NOT 3.0 beta or anything related to the new UI. This is the beta for the final firmware to be released before the 3.0 BETAs can start.

There are a couple of serious issues with the current 2.8 firmware that we want to get rid of ASAP so we need you! We think we have made significant progress and that is to be tested now.

If you are interested in joining or knowing more about the beta and the process involved, head over to our user portal.

You will need to create an account and sign up for the beta. Signing up just means you agree to the conditions we put up, so it is instant.

This beta also works slightly different to how it used to work. Any feedback will need to be left in the beta testing center. It makes it easier for us to collect, sort and respond to individually.

It also allows us to notify you in the future of upcoming beta tests etc (something you can - of course - turn off).

We are looking forward to your feedback!

Well in the process of beta testing some how I have bricked my pineapple.. No WPS flashing just power light. Tried holding down the reset button on the bottom for 7 seconds, 10 seconds, all the way to 30 seconds, no change. So I guess I will have to order a usb to ttl cable so I can hopefully unbrick my pineapple. :( I never thought this day would come. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Well in the process of beta testing some how I have bricked my pineapple.. No WPS flashing just power light. Tried holding down the reset button on the bottom for 7 seconds, 10 seconds, all the way to 30 seconds, no change. So I guess I will have to order a usb to ttl cable so I can hopefully unbrick my pineapple. :( I never thought this day would come. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that, that sucks.

When did it happen? How did it happen? What steps did you take after flashing it? In order if you can.

Did it happen during flashing? How did you flash?

We need to find out if it was something in the firmware or something you did - if the latter, how we can prevent / fix / recover from it.

Sadly, if you boot up the device and no WPS is blinking, something is quite wrong. Before you re-flash it over serial, please do try booting it with serial connected as it will show the boot log. Knowing the issue would be awesome.

Also, it is easier for us to keep track of beta issues if you put this kind of stuff in your report!

I needed to restart my pineapple so I issued a reboot cmd and waited for the pineapple to come back up... That's when I noticed the solid power light and no wps light.. Hmm so I unplugged the pineapple and plugged it back in.. same thing. So after I realized something was wrong, I looked for the pineapple's ssid.. nothing... Tried to connect via eth0 no dice. Ping was unsuccessful. I've tried 5v and 12v nothing will change. I really hope it's only a problem that can be solved with a clean serial flash> Should be interesting>> As for my report I posted quite a few finds and saved the notes I had worked.. went to refresh the page and all my notes were gone!!!! blaahhhhhhh. So now I have to wait a few days till I can rush ship a ttl cable... :(

It did not happen while flashing: happened after reboot.

I flashed by downloading the upgrade.bin file and I disabled all the unneeded services, went to the upgrade page selected the beta firmware and the upgrade went as normal< I did not experience any issues during the upgrade process. Was powered via 12v and using an ethernet cable.

I needed to restart my pineapple so I issued a reboot cmd and waited for the pineapple to come back up... That's when I noticed the solid power light and no wps light.. Hmm so I unplugged the pineapple and plugged it back in.. same thing. So after I realized something was wrong, I looked for the pineapple's ssid.. nothing... Tried to connect via eth0 no dice. Ping was unsuccessful. I've tried 5v and 12v nothing will change. I really hope it's only a problem that can be solved with a clean serial flash> Should be interesting>> As for my report I posted quite a few finds and saved the notes I had worked.. went to refresh the page and all my notes were gone!!!! blaahhhhhhh. So now I have to wait a few days till I can rush ship a ttl cable... :(

I flashed by downloading the upgrade.bin file and I disabled all the unneeded services, went to the upgrade page selected the beta firmware and the upgrade went as normal< I did not experience any issues during the upgrade process. Was powered via 12v and using an ethernet cable.

Your notes disappeared when -2 was released - I restored that for you. Thanks for the detail you have gone into!

Either way, what did you do between the flash and the reboot?

Thanks for your help!

I just flashed the firmware about 2 minutes ago. I haven't started testing yet, I came here to check for any bricking issues first since i don't have a serial cable either. If you can give details about what caused your brick it could help prevent other testers like myself from doing the same thing. Thanks in advance...

Your notes disappeared when -2 was released - I restored that for you. Thanks for the detail you have gone into!

Either way, what did you do between the flash and the reboot?

Thanks for your help!

YES! Awesome I was dreading having to enter all that again!! Between the flash and reboot I installed the network manager, tcpdump and wifi jammer infusions to my usb drive. Then I ran all my test (airmon-ng suite, mdk3, etc) I unplugged my usb drive and plugged in a alfa awus036h adapter. Did the same test with the adapter, unplugged the adapter reinserted my usb drive, looked over my Resources page, went to issue a reboot cmd from the cli because I was unable to do so from the Advanced Page on the Pineapples UI and BAMMM! no reboot and sadness all around.. lol

Thanks Seb for restoring those notes< I'm saving a copy this time.. haha

Which services exactly did you disable? If you turned off anything necessary like boot_wait there could be a serious problem. It sounds like you need to focus on getting into failsafe mode instead holding out any hope you will get into the pineapple's interface again. I've never heard of failsafe mode not working unless you ddi something like unplug during a flash.

I'm not all that familiar with the failsafe mode procedure for this model, but usually it goes something like, power on the device. Wait for some light to come on, hold down a button, some LED starts flashing. Then you can telnet in (hopefully you didn't disable the telnet service!).

You say you were switching around power supplies. That seems like a red flag to me too. Perhaps you gave it too much juice and fried it? Your problem could also be a bad cable (happened to me more than once!) or power supply, so try swapping those out with identical units.

Just trying to help..

If other people have had no problem at all with flashing to this firmware, testing a little bit, and then rebooting their Pineapple, could u mention it here? As of right now I'm too scared to reboot on this fw since i don't have a serial cable...

Which services exactly did you disable? If you turned off anything necessary like boot_wait there could be a serious problem. It sounds like you need to focus on getting into failsafe mode instead holding out any hope you will get into the pineapple's interface again. I've never heard of failsafe mode not working unless you ddi something like unplug during a flash.

I'm not all that familiar with the failsafe mode procedure for this model, but usually it goes something like, power on the device. Wait for some light to come on, hold down a button, some LED starts flashing. Then you can telnet in (hopefully you didn't disable the telnet service!).

You say you were switching around power supplies. That seems like a red flag to me too. Perhaps you gave it too much juice and fried it? Your problem could also be a bad cable (happened to me more than once!) or power supply, so try swapping those out with identical units.

Just trying to help..

The only services I disabled were as follows: Wireless, Cron jobs, URL Snarf, Stealth, SSH, 3G Bootup, 3G Redial, Karma, Dns Spoofing, and Autostart. So only the ones that the upgrade pages asks you to disable when performing an upgrade. As for the power supplies I used the 12v adapter that was provided with the purchase of the wifiipineapple, the 2nd power supply was 5v through a powered usb hub so I don't think I damaged the pineapple through an over current. Failsafe is done via serial.

I'm pretty sure I just need to reflash the pineapple with a USB to TTL cable. I already have one on the way. I should know in a week or so, I'll keep updating as I find out anything new.

Ok guys so I have some fantastic news! Earlier today I was doing some beta testing and somehow managed to brick my wifipineapple!> Well I needed to order a usb to ttl cable in order to do a clean flash via serial. BUT!!!! I remembered I have an Arduino Uno, and thought hmm what if I could use my arduino as a ttl adapter and the answer is..... Yes. Yes you can! I made a video of me doing a clean flash with my Arduino and some scary wiring!! Glad to say my pineapple is back up and running!!!! Yayy!

Edited by deathdealerxx

I hope you saved the boot log before reflashing?

But no, I'm stoked you have it back up and running now!

Blarg! No. To be honest I was surprised I even got the reflash to work...Never thought my arduino would save my pineapple. lol

Thanks me too!

Blarg! No. To be honest I was surprised I even got the reflash to work...Never thought my arduino would save my pineapple. lol

Thanks me too!

This makes me sad, I would have loved to know what the issue was. Oh well. Next time ;)

But no, good!

Next stage of beta will come soon too, for anyone interested!

Ok guys so I have some fantastic news! Earlier today I was doing some beta testing and somehow managed to brick my wifipineapple!> Well I needed to order a usb to ttl cable in order to do a clean flash via serial. BUT!!!! I remembered I have an Arduino Uno, and thought hmm what if I could use my arduino as a ttl adapter and the answer is..... Yes. Yes you can! I made a video of me doing a clean flash with my Arduino and some scary wiring!! Glad to say my pineapple is back up and running!!!! Yayy!

That is one badass way to do it!