Pineapple mark IV connectivity issues

I have looked everywhere on here and cant find an answer to my question.. please bear with me, i am new to the pineapple, but no matter what i do, i can not get the pineapple to connect to the internet so i can get the network manager or any other infusions... please help, keep up the great work

thanks for any input!

If you looked everywhere then you must have seen this post..

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/29388-connect-directly-to-home-network/

They even have a how to website just for the pineapple.

https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki You should read everything there, in particular I think you need to look at the quick start guide.

I have looked everywhere on here and cant find an answer to my question.. please bear with me, i am new to the pineapple, but no matter what i do, i can not get the pineapple to connect to the internet so i can get the network manager or any other infusions... please help, keep up the great work

thanks for any input!

You don't give enough details. Please give us details such as what OS you are using, what you have done, etc.

How are you trying to connect to the internet specifically? Are you using an ethernet cable to your pc/laptop, or your router, or wifi? Either way the links in deathdealerxx's response should get you up and running.

Edited by kpoeticg

i am running backtrack 5 r2, i have the pineapple hooked via eth 0 hardwired..., then have a usb alpha AWUS036NHA connected to the internet... when i would get the file from wifipineapple.com for wp4.sh (quick start for pineapple), as soon as i would go through the procedure, it would drop my internet connection, so when i navigate to the pineapple, and tried to download infusions, it would say that i didnt have a network connection, if i went back in and reconnected to the ap wireless to get the internet... i couldnt connect to the pineapple anymore, its not making sense to me, i cant get it to where it both connects to the pineapple and ha internet connection at the same time?

I see. If you're using BackTrack 5 r2 I'm guessing you're using wicd for your network manager. I have the same issue with wicd, I couldn't get it to maintain both connections at the same time either. Since you're using a dated version of BackTrack I recommend upgrading to Kali which uses a different network manager instead of wicd which is able to maintain a wired and wireless connection at the same time. If there's some specific reason that you prefer to stay on r2 you should either find a different network manager compatible with it or figure out if there's a way to configure it in wicd.. Either way, it has nothing to do with the Pineapple. It's an issue with BackTrack.

Edit:

If you have access to a Windows install it wouldn't be a bad idea to set it up through Windows, connect to it, downoad the Network Manager infusion, get your Alfa connected to your network, and setup ipforwarding. That way once it's connected to your network u can connect to it in your BackTrack browser without an ethernet cable. Just use the ip you're router gives it instead of 172.16.42.1

Edited by kpoeticg

Thanks kpoeticg, I was going crazy trying to figure out why Kali 1.0.2 wasn't working as my ICS laptop! I went back to windows 7 and bam it works fine. This is probably the first time I had to say "Well it doesn't work in linux". I know you say Kali works but it sure isn't for me! It's running NetworkManager.

There has to be a work around, I mean, what distro were they using when they developed the wp4.sh script??

Hrmmm I was able to get it working in Kali. I had to uninstall wicd (which i installed myself cuz i like the ui), and i have to run the wp4.sh script every time i wanna use it as my Pineapple's internet connection but it works for me...

Check Here http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/29373-wp4sh-and-kali-linux/ maybe it'll point out something your missing

Edited by kpoeticg

thanks very much for the information, i have found that the only way it works for me in backtrack5 r2 is if i run the quickstart script everytime i connect the pineapple...(a pain)... but i am in the process of updating, and it is surely a wicd problem

thanks again

Edited by NFSYSTEMS01

For me, in Kali, I could connect to my AP using wireless, then run wp4.sh (Without having connected the pineapple) and get no errors. As soon asI plug the pineapple in, it takes over as my gateway and I lose all connectivity through wifi.

If I try connecting wifi and the pineapple and running wp4, it errors out at the end with IOCTRL No route to host errors. I can't win. I will read the post you guys referenced though and see if there's anything I'm missing.

For me, in Kali, I could connect to my AP using wireless, then run wp4.sh (Without having connected the pineapple) and get no errors. As soon asI plug the pineapple in, it takes over as my gateway and I lose all connectivity through wifi.

I suspect that Kail linux is grabbing an ip address and gateway using dhcp. The pineapple runs dhcpd on the LAN port and will happily hand out the info. I suspect that your /etc/resolv.conf is also getting changed.

Try disabiling dhcp on the ethernet interface you are connecting with the pineapple.

Chris.

If I try connecting wifi and the pineapple and running wp4, it errors out at the end with IOCTRL No route to host errors. I can't win. I will read the post you guys referenced though and see if there's anything I'm missing.

Pineapple needs to be plugged in when you run wp4.sh

• 2 weeks later...