Mr Gray's Pineapple kit: Battery hook up, Pineapple to go/case & more later.

Mr Gray's Pineapple kit:

I'm building a advance case (Not posted yet)

Untitled_1_copy.jpg

I'll show you guys when i'm done with it.

Please read threw full post before building.

Basic case:

photo_1.jpg

Battery pack:

Things you'll need

(Multimeter)

To test your power supply if your doing other types of power sources.

images.jpg

(Battery pack x2)

[8x "aa" Battery Holder]

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062242

p_RS1_C_2160149w345.jpg

(9v Battery Snap Connector x2)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062218

p_RS1_C_2160125w345.jpg

(Rechargeable "aa" batteries at 1.5v each x16 or "aa" batteries at 1.5v x16)

If you cannot find 1.5v aa batteries just use 1.2v.

514_JD6_RL_L_AA160.jpg

(Average Modem Power Cable x2)

You can save $ if you go down to thrift shops and buy some used ones.

Your going to need to tear them apart, average cost per cable $1 at thrift shop.

I would get something like this one,

photo.jpg

(Heat Shrink Tubing)

p_RS1_C_2160572w345.jpg

(Optional power switch)

p_RS1_C_2160434t98.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building the battery pack

Put x16 "aa" batteries in the x2 battery clips.

If you have a multimeter test the voltage that's coming out you want 12v for your Modem and your Pineapple for each battery pack.

Get your two modem power cables and cut the center of the wire, strip the + and - of the wire.

Grab your 9v battery snap connector and put two shrink tubes on each wire + - before you attach it test to see if it fits in your Pineapple and test the wiring that your on ++ to -- usually black or white strips on one of the wires means its +

Attach the modem power cables to the 9v battery snap connectors 1x for each item. Then shrink your tubing.

Attach the 9v battery snap connector to the "aa" battery pack

That's it for the battery packs.

You could also get a 12v regulator and attach a larger power source.

Here's a schematic on that,

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?25070-DIY-12v-Regulator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For attaching a switch:

images_1.jpg

When connecting to the plug if the switch is two prong it will be ++ to each prong.

Like #1 prong will be attached to the + wire than the #2 prong will be attached to the other + wire.

------------------------------------------------------------Questions-------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering. If the DC is not plugged, is there any energy going out?

No unless the DC port is touching together or attached to a piece of metal, etc.

Oh and by the way, how long do you think this super battery can last if plugged 24/24?

The person who made me want to create this from his post is

j4k3

http://forums.hak5.o...le-on-a-budget/

And he said,

"Mine lasts approximately 15 hours although the radio strength will decrease over time, the first couple of hours is perfect"

Battery over heating issue:

If you put the + and - wires together it will heat up the battery pack, which means that one of your two wires are touching.

Or the DC plug is broken and touching together.

Also you want to strip the wire around half an inch to provide a better connection.

-----

It should work without the 9v snap.

Use your own connectors as you choose.

Inspiration from,

j4k3

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/29292-portable-pineapple-on-a-budget/

Edited by mrgray

what's the bigger board from the top? some atom board? if yes, what are you running on it :D

Looks like another access point.

It is a modem but i will be putting a raspberry pi or a atom board in ^_^

Alright so I tried to do the same as you but I have a big problem. I decided to forget about the 9 volt snap and I think that caused problem because after less than 30 seconds the battery pack is literally melting.

Ok so what you want to do is make sure your wires are connected to + + to - -. To see if it is on the right wires grab your multimeter and put the negative (black) tester on the negative (black) wire and the positive (red) tester to the positive (red) wire while you are plugged in the battery pack.

On the multimetter it should say that your on around 12.00v if its -12.00v than you have the wires backwards.

Battery over heating issue:

If you put the + and - wires together it will heat up the battery pack, which means that one of your two wires are touching.

Or the DC plug is broken and touching together.

Also you want to strip the wire around half an inch to provide a better connection.

It should work without the 9v snap.

I will test later when i have time.

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_1_1.jpg

Edited by mrgray

Alright so I tried to do the same as you but I have a big problem. I decided to forget about the 9 volt snap and I think that caused problem because after less than 30 seconds the battery pack is literally melting.

Ok so i looked at the image again when connecting to the plug if the switch is two prong it will be ++ to each prong.

Like #1 prong will be attached to the + wire than the #2 prong will be attached to the other + wire.

images_1.jpg

a93f82e880364ad5a914f3a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's the other without the on/off

Same thing, the battery pack is burning and the power do not go to the pineapple. I even tried to switch the cable in case the color were wrong. But in that case the battery pack is not heating but the power do not go to the wifi pineapple either. So maybe it's an hardware problem? I don't know what to think. Seem to be an easy task but well, not working here. Tomorrow I will try to buy a new battery pack and a new dc cable

PS: The battery pack cable metal is silver and the dc one is bronze. If that can change anything

Edited by WallE

Oh well, I put them back again together, and now it's working. Don't ask me why :wub:

9710f792fc4440369967f61.jpg

Working perfectly. I untie them, tie them back. Then it's worked. No idea why (For both of them)

Oh and by the way, how long do you think this super battery can last if plugged 24/24?

Edited by WallE

Oh well, I put them back again together, and now it's working. Don't ask me why :wub:

9710f792fc4440369967f61.jpg

Working perfectly. I untie them, tie them back. Then it's worked. No idea why (For both of them)

No WallE, if their is nothing pulling power, it wont pull power...

-Foxtrot

Oh well, I put them back again together, and now it's working. Don't ask me why

Awesome glad to hear!

No unless the DC port is touching together or attached to a piece of metal, etc.

The person who made me want to create this from his post is

j4k3

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/29292-portable-pineapple-on-a-budget/

and he said,

"Mine lasts approximately 15 hours although the radio strength will decrease over time, the first couple of hours is perfect"

I have yet to run out of power for mine.

Edited by mrgray

2 questions: how do you plug the USB hub. And isn't more expensive to buy 16 battery every 15 hours instead of buying an anker astro 10000mah?

You can make a USB hub power center. I'll make a tutorial on that if i need to.

This is a DIY build, backup power etc.

And it would be cheaper to get rechargeable batteries depending on what you want.

Or even buy a $20 rechargeable drill battery and convert that into a power source, you take it apart and there will be like 15 1.5v batteries inside all hooked up.

Then you can show people what you built and make you look like your really smart.

Would be really appreciated! :rolleyes:

What are you wanting to run on it?

Charging phones etc will have to be 5v

than modems and pineapples will have to be 12v

12v will ruin your phone if you plug it into it.

Edited by mrgray

I have 2 battery pack created like your tutorial show you. I would also like to power my usb hub but I supose I can just plug it and with the 12 volt it will be enough to power the alfa + 16 gig flash drive

12volt 8 battery pack ----> Pineapple -----> Usb hub -----> Alfa + flash drive

I have 2 battery pack created like your tutorial show you. I would also like to power my usb hub but I supose I can just plug it and with the 12 volt it will be enough to power the alfa + 16 gig flash drive

It should be enough, the battery pack that came with my Pineapple bundle is only an output of 5v and usually usb outlets like the one on the pineapple is 5v.

You can look on the bottom and online to see how many volts you will need to get full power

I could also run the pineapple off of the battery pack of 5v

I would like to see yours when you are finished and i uploaded a schematic of what i'm doing on the #1 post.

Also post pictures of your builds!

• 2 weeks later...

I use my self some 18650 Li-Ions. These are found in laptop batteries.

Build a solid power control unit with 5V regulators some 20V zener diodes and PCBs from radio shack.

I can post details on my setup if anyone is interested.

All the stuff adds up but you get solid hours out of it. My projects normally runs Dev boards with the Pineapple. As the HackBerry A10, RPI, Ordroid U2. So Ive built powerful cells.