“Rubber Ducky” meets “WiFi Pineapple”

TinkerMan

So I just read about this post that popped up on Hack-a-Day recently http://penturalabs.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/blue-for-the-pineapple/ and I posted the following question in the comments section and thought I should also post it here, I also noticed that I wasn't the only one taking notice, props to Darren for noticing and supporting fellow hackers!!

I’ve been thinking of an idea for a week or so now that would only be possible if Hak5′s “Rubber Ducky” meets “WiFi Pineapple” and all of a sudden I see this on hack-a-day and I think I might be able to do what I want with this device!! So the idea I have, or what I want to be able to do is connect a usb device (wr703n) to a host computer on a internal company network that has access to the internet and local intranet with the host computer having access to a network printer. Then I would connect my laptop via secured wireless to the device (wr703n) and be able to access the Internet and Intranet from my laptop as if it were the host computer that has all the permissions and privileges to access the internet and especially the local intranet. I’m and independent contractor that deals with industrial automation and controls and I always seem to need to print off a schematic to be able to wright on or take notes on and I always have to leave the plant floor and head back to the company’s office and bug some one to use their computer to look up a schematic and print it off for me. I’ve been using portable putty to establish an ssh socks proxy back to my server so I can get access to some websites that they block and portable winscp to get the files that I need but I still have to use someone computer to do that. So is this idea possible??!!!!!

Thanks, TinkerMan

Theres a more elegant solution: Portable Printer. If you're driving back and forth just to print something, this could easily be cost-justified with your boss.

IF you want to do this as a POC or just a fun hack-tastic project, hells yeah, but just know that its far from the best solution for your particular problem.

The biggest issue with your proposed plan is, theres no way for the wr703n to get internet just by being plugged in via usb. It just doesn't work that way. The wr703n is designed to get power from the usb, and I think thats it. One option would be to buy a usb-to-ethernet adapter (a la hakshop) and plug that into the host computer, turn on internet connection sharing to the adapter, then plug in your laptop to the adapter.

Another option: If you need it to do wifi, plug in a wifi adapter to the host computer. Then plug in a rubberducky with Darren's "Make a AP" script for windows7. You might have to add some lines to the script that setup ICS between the wired and the wireless.

Either way, you'll need a machine that is not locked, and permission from the owner to do this - as without permission it would be TOTALLY illegal.

telot

Just had a thought - I'm not sure what I proposed would work afterall, at least for printing. Now that I think it through, the host computer would be assigning you an IP (acting as a dhcp server) - its not going to reach out to its real dhcp server and give you one of those IP's - not in windows at least. Anyone know if I'm wrong?

telot

Well I did find this: http://www.madox.net/blog/2013/01/04/tl-wr703n-example-project-3-wireless-3d-printing-or-2d-printing-or-just-simply-wireless-usb/ so I'm assuming that it could still be a possibility although this goes the other direction than what I want to do. Yes a portable printer might be a more elegant solution but then I would need to setup a printer in my truck with a 3g/4g connection because I don't have direct access to their network unless I do something with the wr703n.