USB Power Cable Not Enough for USB (SanDisk)

gtmi6

Hi there,

Is anyone else having issues with their SanDisk (or other USB drive) not working when their pineapple is plugged in/powered up using the USB Power Cable?

I've confirmed that the only way I can access my USB SanDisk drive (and its modules) is if my pineapple is powered up through the wall adapter.

Any insight or help on a workaround would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

--GW

Unfortunately, I have this issue too. I fix for this would be huge. I currently have a few of my most used modules on the internal storage so I can access them when full power isn't available. The main issue, of course, is the lack of space on the internal side.

Edited by DrDinosaur

Same problem here. I cannot get the SanDisk drive from the Hak5 shop to boot at all under USB power (computer connection or Pineapple Juice power pack). Can one of the administrators comment as to if this now commonplace?

If you are having problems with that flash drive use a different one. Problem solved.

If you are having problems with that flash drive use a different one. Problem solved.

Problem not solved. Using a different USB drive does nothing to mitigate the problem. Users/admins, please post constructive suggestions and/or comments that demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving.

Furthermore, what is most frustrating is that I purchased the San Disk drive specifically because it was suggested as a low-power, discrete, and capable USB drive by the creators of Hak 5 products.

If anyone has more insight into this problem please let those of us experiencing it know. Thanks!

Problem not solved. Using a different USB drive does nothing to mitigate the problem. Users/admins, please post constructive suggestions and/or comments that demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving.

Furthermore, what is most frustrating is that I purchased the San Disk drive specifically because it was suggested as a low-power, discrete, and capable USB drive by the creators of Hak 5 products.

If anyone has more insight into this problem please let those of us experiencing it know. Thanks!

Well it looks like a power problem. How many milliamps/volts is your computer putting out of your usb port for the pineapple? See this. BTW I just ordered that drive to see for myself the problems you guys are having.

If you have a volt meter and a spare USB cable rip that apart and see the volts/amps that it's outputting with the pineapple powered. Then start comparing with the USB drive to the computer, computer to pineapple to usb. Then you'll know where you're at with power and compare that with other people that are not having problems.

Edited by TylerCPU

It is true the Hak5 guys have done extensive testing with that Sandisk model but I don't remember them claiming that testing extended to using it with USB power. I know they sell the barrel cable and the pineapple juice together in the same package... If that package combo comes with the Sandisk 4gb drive and doens't work together then you might have reason to contact the Hak5 shop. My point is there may be a standard configuration of using the wall plug that is guaranteed to work and all other variations, while possible, may not work. There are several other posts on this forum describing similar issues with USB drives running from a USB/battery power. I know because I've experienced this issue with the Sandisk 8Gig version and other usb drives that are larger than 4gig. Wall power works for all of them but I wanted a more mobile configuration. I've found that the 4Gig Lacie drive below works off of USB/battery power, paried with a nonpowered USB hub no less. But, as you've experienced YMMV.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820154027

Well, I just got my Sandisk Cruzer Fit 4GB from amazon and it works just fine. I don't have any of the problems other people are having. I don't know what is going on. It just works.

Anyways here is my testing with the that flash drive plugged in. The testing was done from the output of the usb(from my computer) that powers the pineapple.

Note: Power consumption(amps) does not change whether plugged into a wall adapter or usb port.

Power consumption(amps):

5V----170 milliamps

5V----230 milliamps spike

No sandisk plugged in:

5V---- 150 milliamps

5V---- 200 milliamps spike

It looks like the pineapple does not require very much power so I highly doubt it's a power problem.

USB 2.0 spec supports 500 milliamps. I did short circuit my usb port to see how much current would flow(Don't do it you could damage your computer.)

It was at 300 milliamps.

USB out on pineapple 4.12V

Edited by TylerCPU

Same problem. tried 3 hak shop 4gb cruizers and a 16 gig cruizer.

I really don't know what to say. Mine just works. Maybe I'll try my 8GB Sandisk cruzer and see what happens. Could you tell a little more on what happens when you use your sandisk cruzer fit 4gb drive?

Thanks for everyone's updates and work looking into this problem.

Could it be due to the firmware upgrade on the pineapple itself? I am running 2.8.0 I upgraded the firmware using a clean install (Serial TTL). Also, as hard as it is to conceive, could the formatting of the SanDisk 4GB cause this as well? In an effort to install user packages (such as auto Rickroll, etc.) by default to the USB and not the pineapple, I followed Derek's instructions on the forum. This allows the pineapple user to choose between installing on the pineapple or the USB.

Could this formatting have something to do with why the USB is not powering up through the USB power adapter? I have no idea, I am just throwing out any and all possibilities.

Thanks again for the continual hard work guys! We all appreciate it!

-G

• 4 weeks later...