Bountyhunter50

Hi everyone

Here's the skinny:

I have a Motorola Devour given as a gift from a buddy. I tried rooting it and apparently was successful. Can't remember if I backed up or not. But here is the problem:

My wifi is totally disabled. whenever I try to start wifi, it kicks an error.

I know there's a method through the dialer. Except that's useless to me because whenever I try to open the dialer app, it kicks back "it's not installed"

If it stays rooted or not is the least of my worries. I just want to get wifi back. Anyone have any thoughts? Tried going through adb, but that is a headache all in its own.

My wife works in a store where they buy gold, jewelry, cell phones, laptops, etc, and just about every android device shes ever had brought in, shes reset to factory settings, which in your case, is what I would try to do, then re-root, add back what you want. Just backup your important programs and files first over USB or OTB to another device, then reset it to factory settings. If you want, I can ask her how its done, she has a list for different types of devices but most of them, can be done right from the settings panel and will wipe the phone and reset them to factory, with no user on the device. If you have a data plan, after done, you may have to make a call from another phone to have them reset it, or in a lot of cases, they can remotely wipe and factory reset them for you, even when rooted. She has to reset them since they sell them on ebay and such, so everything has to be reset to factory before then can resell them, and each phone and version has different ways, some with holding power and home buttons, some with power and volume up, etc, to put in dev or debug modes and such, and from there, reset.

If its a corrupt apk though, my thing would be to get some sort of console or terminal program on there, remove that apk, and then reinstall, unless its a rouge app in itself. No need to "un-root" unless you're just looking to start fresh.

Most of the unrooting/resettings is under general settings though, including even iPhones.

settings > backup and reset should work though.

Edited by digip

My wife works in a store where they buy gold, jewelry, cell phones, laptops, etc, and just about every android device shes ever had brought in, shes reset to factory settings, which in your case, is what I would try to do, then re-root, add back what you want. Just backup your important programs and files first over USB or OTB to another device, then reset it to factory settings. If you want, I can ask her how its done, she has a list for different types of devices but most of them, can be done right from the settings panel and will wipe the phone and reset them to factory, with no user on the device. If you have a data plan, after done, you may have to make a call from another phone to have them reset it, or in a lot of cases, they can remotely wipe and factory reset them for you, even when rooted. She has to reset them since they sell them on ebay and such, so everything has to be reset to factory before then can resell them, and each phone and version has different ways, some with holding power and home buttons, some with power and volume up, etc, to put in dev or debug modes and such, and from there, reset.

If its a corrupt apk though, my thing would be to get some sort of console or terminal program on there, remove that apk, and then reinstall, unless its a rouge app in itself. No need to "un-root" unless you're just looking to start fresh.

Most of the unrooting/resettings is under general settings though, including even iPhones.

settings > backup and reset should work though.

Erm, How do I do that on Android 1.6? :) It's ancient! hahaa!

Adb should still work from your desktop. Adb shell in, cd to /system/app, and delete or rename the offending app. Exit out and do an adb push of a working version back to the phone.

1.6. Dude, that's an old ass phone.

I'll give that a shot and report back.

Right?! It was given to me for free from a buddy (told him I was looking for an android phone so my USB Ducky can have a play mate) , but he didn't mention it's ancient!

Ok so here's the latest update guys!

So I found a .zip of the whole image deal , and based by the instructions I found on androidcentral, I changed it to update.zip and tossed it onto my SD card. Went into recovery, tried applying the update. Well , I think it's safe to say I screwed this thing up :)

Ok so here's the latest update guys!

So I found a .zip of the whole image deal , and based by the instructions I found on androidcentral, I changed it to update.zip and tossed it onto my SD card. Went into recovery, tried applying the update. Well , I think it's safe to say I screwed this thing up :)

Try this.

http://modmymobile.com/forums/620-motorola-devour-roms/558767-how-go-back-stock-firmware.html