Young, absolutely noob, looking for a mentor in programming

LearningWolf

First off, let me start by saying, I am NOT doing this to seem cool, impress my friends, attack anyone, do anything illegal, or any of the dumb, idiotic, and plain down reckless reasons any other kid my age seems to have when they ask to code

I am trying to better my future. I'm training to be in the air force specifically for the GI bill and the technical experience. from there I'm going to get into the best college I can and major in Information and Technology, and minor in Engineering so that I can hopefully become either a computer scientist, computer engineer, get into networking, the list goes on. But I really want to work with computers in my future

So as you can see, I'm literally planning my life around coding. I'm not here because I wanna learn how to code and get petty revenge with someone, I'm here because I sincerely want to learn. I've been to Code Academy, but I don't think I should just limit myself text books, or examples, I need an honest-to-goodness programmer to teach me, give me advice on what to learn and how, and help me become who I wanna be in life, please, my only request, is that if you don't want to, or don't take this seriously, then don't comment and hurt my feelings, I'm serious about coding.

Waiting, eager to learn

-LearningWolf

Most people recommend you start with PHP or Python, the PHP manual is a really good resource, You said you were young but you didn't say how young. If you have trouble picking up PHP or Python I am going to recommend you start with something easy like Alice or Visual Basic to lean the concepts. Once you understand the basics you can move on to something more advanced like C#. BTW you can get a free copy of visual studio if you signup for dreamspark, all you really have to do is fill out a form and upload a copy of your report card or some other document that proves you are a student.

Edited by computerguy241

Most people recommend you start with PHP or Python, the PHP manual is a really good resource, You said you were young but you didn't say how young. If you have trouble picking up PHP or Python I am going to recommend you start with something easy like Alice or Visual Basic to lean the concepts. Once you understand the basics you can move on to something more advanced like C#. BTW you can get a free copy of visual studio if you signup for dreamspark, all you really have to do is fill out a form and upload a copy of your report card or some other document that proves you are a student.

This. Also codecademy is a _GREAT_ way to learn coding, If you want to program windows and linux apps, learn C, if its web coding, learn HTML, then CSS (which is really easy) then PHP and Javascript :)

Goodluck :)

-Foxtrot

I've got some decent resources listed here: http://sitwon.github.io/learnproglang/Home.html

You should look into joining a local hackerspace or similar community. Also, find an open source project that you like and get involved. Most FOSS projects have very open communities and are willing to mentor new coders who want to contribute to the project. Learning by doing is really the best way to get experience AND it gives you something to put on your resume.