n00b here, trying to edit a configuration file.

Brazzmunk,

To edit a file, just SSH into the pineapple. Then use your favorite command line editor to edit the files. I prefer nano for simple editing as it is very fast and easy to use. Others prefer vim. The "i" refers to VIM input.

We don't offer the possibility to edit files through the advanced option menu. Some specific files are editable through the interface but far from all. The 3.0.0 UI will most likely have an editor built in but it isn't very high on our to-do list.

Best,

Sebkinne

should be as simple as:

ssh root@172.16.42.1

password="pineapplesareyummy" (without quotes)

assuming your ip address is 172.16.42.42

References for vi (vim):

Edited by midnitesnake

Thanks for Reply, Another quick question as i am trying to wrap my head around setup. Is the following possible?

connect cat 4 to computer, set up pineapple so it connects to local AP. disconnect cat 4 and access pineapple through AP?

n7muIr9.jpg

Cheers!!

Typical Setup.

1. PC uses WiFi to broadband / hotspot (or even ethernet connection)
  2. Pineapple uses ethernet (or 2nd USB based ethernet) to PC
  3. Enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on host PC
  4. Everything should then work

Brazzmunk,

If you attach a USB wifi card to the pineapple, you can make it be a client to an AP. If you then know it's IP (usually given over DHCP by the AP) and you connect to the same AP, the pineapple can have internet over said AP and you can reach it over <IP>:1471.

In terms of wireless, you can run it stand alone (and connect to the pineapple over wifi to manage it), over 3G (best using a reverse SSH tunnel), over a relay or over android tethering.

Just let it be known that you will need a powered usb hub to use a proper usb wifi adapter. Supposedly theres some low power ones out there that you can use, but they will have very poor RX/TX power.

telot

So i have been digging around and getting considerably confused. I am trying to do the set up described above. specifically the step where you set pineapple as client and connect it to existing AP. pineapple is connected to by Ethernet cable to computer. I did download network manager and that's where i'm sitting right now. I will dig around further but a little hint is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the existing AP wep, open, or wpa? If its WPA protected, you'll need to use wpa_supplicant and dhclient, otherwise just iwconfig (and maybe some dhclient as well) will work. Those are the tools to use to connect your alfa to the existing AP, then you can use the network manager to tell your pineapple that you want to get your ICS from the alfa. After that you should be all set.

telot

Edited by telot

Here is my problem. My AP is set to WAP. I am VMing to Backtrack and ICS is done through windows. If i could ssh into pineapple through backtrack i can go with suggestion above. Is there a way to rout physical port to client backtrack on VM so i can ssh into pineapple?

Here is my problem. My AP is set to WAP. I am VMing to Backtrack and ICS is done through windows. If i could ssh into pineapple through backtrack i can go with suggestion above. Is there a way to rout physical port to client backtrack on VM so i can ssh into pineapple?

Change your network card in the vm to bridged mode.