Best cost effective VPN solution?

DiTOH1

Hey there everyone,

I was curious as to what VPN solutions the community use. I am currently set with vpnbook (100% free) but I am having speed problems, I understand that VPNs will slow down your bandwith, but I was wondering if I should go with a different provider?

I don't mind spending a bit of money ;D

Thanks for your responses!

@demonjester It seems like your looking for a dedicated machine on amazon's cloud service. You would have to pay monthly for such a service. Running an OpenVPN server will secure your connection when connecting to your home network from a remote location. But, the traffic will still go through your ISP and it might open your homenetwork to attackers if its not configured properly. You can find videos on youtube. Have you considered hidemyass?

Mr. Protocol would you like share your setup? do you use openvpn by any chance? Specs and setup would be nice.

What I did a year ago.

http://mr-protocol.blogspot.com/2012/08/openvpn-private-internet-tunnel-diy.html

Thank you Mr-Protocol, the issue though is that I don't have a home server to set an OpenVPN server. I did configure a PPTP on Windows 7

I used a virtual machine with my every-day desktop. You can even run a server linux distro to help with resources. And yes it used OpenVPN.

I use my home server vpn if I just want a secured connection (for example, if I'm on public open wifi) and use Vypr VPN services when I want to "be" somewhere else. They've got servers all over the world, and sometimes its nice to appear like I'm in the UK (bbc player) or elsewhere. Also, the connection is very fast.

telot

Home, get a router that allows VPN access from remote locations if you WANT to use your home address, as well as reach the home workstations. From home to the web, I use a service such as APOVPN. $7/month and no logging with 3 US locations. You can get a download for auto client connectivity, or you can ask for a download of an ovpn config file, which is what I do and copy to all my devices. Only caveat, only one device can use that config file at a time, unless you purchase their pre-configured routers, which allows the entire house, to always be on the VPN and can be enabled and disabled as needed, but nice to make it easy to everything in the home, is encrypted going in and out of the home. Its really meant for service men and women in the military over seas, but he also sells to local US folks. Sign up is a bit wonky if you don't enter your info exactly as it is on the credit card, but they'll go in and fix it right after you sign up for you since the merchant is very strict with payment methods and minimum amounts, such as using discount codes, always seem to cause an issue with billing since he gives trials away sometimes, and $0 being charged, throws an error, but best and fastest service I've used so far.

Also, if you don't mind sshuttling instead of VPN, you can get a TinyVZ vps for $15 per YEAR. Thats right, per year. I've been using one for a couple weeks now and I've yet to be disappointed. Great service, and 100% uptime thus far. Check them out