Create own proxy webpage to access country restricted sites

bvx

When abroad I access a country restricted site by SSH tunneling to my DDWRT router at home. Currently I do it using plink and a SOCKS proxy configured browser.

I want to make it simpler by setting up a proxy webpage on my webhost or on the google apps engine. The backend of this proxy webpage should route the traffic through the SSH tunnel on my home router. So instead of firing up plink and connecting to the router manually, I'll simply go to the url of the proxy webpage.

I've looked at several options - glype, mirrorrr.appspot.com, etc. But they all use the server hosting the proxy website as the endpoint. I need to make my router the endpoint.

Anyone played with things like this before?

If your host allows DNS entries and subdomains using your own DNS entries, you should be able to put an DNS record for the subdomain to point to your home box, but you'd probably also need DynDNS setup to keep access unless your IP never changes.

I want to make it simpler by setting up a proxy webpage on my webhost or on the google apps engine.

You can setup a proxy on your webhost, but its IP will be that of the webhost, as you've already described.

The backend of this proxy webpage should route the traffic through the SSH tunnel on my home router.

The only way you are going to get your site, to route through your home router, is a DNS entry on your host, pointing to your home router. How you setup the rest is up to you. You could go and setup an HTTP server at home(I don't suggest it unless its a VM bridged to the network and port forwarded to and segmented off of your main lan in case it got hacked) but you could also SSH into your subdomain, and have it point directly > forwarded to your home router. Darren did a few episodes on this with some SSH bouncing and chaining. I don't know the exact setup, but if you want the site you host, to run through your home router, only way I can see, is route it via a sub domain and DNS entry that points to your router. What you do once the traffic is directed at the router, is up to you. Not sure how you configure and setup the rest to do what you want, but that was just a suggestion to get your host, or a subdomain on the host, to point at your router.