Gettings around user inactivity timers

telot

Hey all - like a lot of admins, I use a lot of portals and dashboards for monitoring my network, servers, clouds, blah blah blah. Most of them feature Inactivity timers for security reasons. They don't want you to get up from your computer, have someone else sit down, and have access to these websites with admin credentials.

Sounds good right? Well, I hate them. I diligently follow the best practice of always locking my workstation when I'm away from it. So I'm wondering if theres any known workarounds for these things. I've done some googling on the subject, but can only come up with code examples of how to apply an inactivity timer to a website, not how to circumvent them. Before I go looking though the javascript on each site to hack up my own workaround, I was hoping maybe some of you have a solution to this problem. I'd hate to reinvent the wheel, so if you know of anything that could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

telot

someone had written a program or script, which may still exist on the forums, that moved the mouse 1 pixel, every 30 seconds. That prevented screensavers from running, etc.

The other way, is use something like the ducky, and make it hit a shift key or some other key non obtrusive to controls of the monitor, every so many minutes or before the timer expires. Would be easier to use a script or tool though vs buying a ducky for each server.

You could even write a cron job for linux systems or a scheduled task for windows to just launch and kill something every so often.

Edited by digip

Those are all good ideas digip, but I guess I should have explained myself a little better. I'm kind of hoping for a browser hack that will provide this functionality. The reason being, is I have a dozen or more tabs open at once, and I bounce between the different dashboards doing my work. Sometimes I spend 10 minutes on one dashboard, and then when I go to view another one, that I was in the middle of doing something on, and poof! I've been logged out. The solution would have to work with inactive tabs. Maybe I'm reaching here, and tbh, it's quite a first world problem if you ask me lol

Thanks for the tips digip, I think I'll look into what I can do with the cron to keep hidden tabs alive.

telot

Ah.. I thought it was OS lockout. Use Opera, right click page, tell it how often to refresh (Under "Reload page" section of menu). Will keep pages alive and logged in for sites like eBay, PayPal, etc.

Mi Amor! Downloading opera right now (haven't run it in years, but this would be reason to). Thanks digip!

telot