NIC Teaming Question

MR. M

If i team 2 or more NIC's, does each nic still keep their pysical ip address even though virtual one has been created?

Am asking this because i currently have a Windows Server 2012 Server with a Dual Gigabit PCI-X card with an IP set on each ethernet port, and each one is linked to an FTP server. am wondering if i do the NIC teaming will this conflict with the dedicated ftp servers.

Edited by MR. M

You can bridge them or even use one for up and one for down stream, if the program is capable, but in most cases double nics are usually used for failover. In wireless, combining antenna arrays helps boost speed and signal bridging multiple wireless, but I'm not sure on the wired side if that helps improve speeds or will cause issues. One good thing is being able to set each nic to different subnet and vlans so you can reach different networks from the same machine, but I guess the best answer, is try it. See if you can find a tutorial on nic teaming and what it the benefits are and how it works.

Most of us learn by doing, trial and error, so if you come up with something cool and it all works out, post your setup and progress so others will benefit from your experience.

Edited by digip

You can bridge them or even use one for up and one for down stream, if the program is capable, but in most cases double nics are usually used for failover. In wireless, combining antenna arrays helps boost speed and signal bridging multiple wireless, but I'm not sure on the wired side if that helps improve speeds or will cause issues. One good thing is being able to set each nic to different subnet and vlans so you can reach different networks from the same machine, but I guess the best answer, is try it. See if you can find a tutorial on nic teaming and what it the benefits are and how it works.

Most of us learn by doing, trial and error, so if you come up with something cool and it all works out, post your setup and progress so others will benefit from your experience.

You're right, the only way to know is trying it out. Thanks for the tip!