Do not use the Afla AWUS036NHA with your pineapple

Zephyr

Great find! I wasn't sure how long it was going to take using CRDA to stumble through every bit and byte to solve this problem. This addition info should help shorten the process greatly while still being a valuable learning process. And yes, for those of us living in the US, let's be careful that we keep out EIRP restricted at 500mW or below which is the legal limit (likewise for whatever country you may live in).

You're right, it didn't help any. ;) Just kidding ... partially. Seriously, that's interesting. Maybe you were fortunate enough to get one of the adapters that isn't regged for a low-power country. Looks like you're running Ubuntu? What version? Is this your out-of-the-box results?

Yes this is out of the box results. I haven't changed anything. This adapter was purchased on Amazon.com from a US based seller less than but close to a year ago. I am using Unbuntu 12.10 but is also works on my laptop running BTR3. It also worked when I was running 12.04.

Is this going to be built in in 2.8.0? Sounds good ;) I'll give it a shot when i'll get back to my pineapple :D

Not in 2.8.0 - that is being released right now.

The issue with including this in a firmware is that there are POTENTIAL legal issues. Until we have figured out if we can or can't include it, we won't. I can say that technically there aren't any issues with it. Why? We would only unlock the world rules. This means that country restrictions still apply. If you were to be in Bolivia or similar, there aren't any country restrictions and world restrictions would apply.

Of course, for now, if it is legal in your country, you can compile your own regulatory.bin and replace the pineapples. That will work without issues.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Not in 2.8.0 - that is being released right now.

The issue with including this in a firmware is that there are POTENTIAL legal issues. Until we have figured out if we can or can't include it, we won't. I can say that technically there aren't any issues with it. Why? We would only unlock the world rules. This means that country restrictions still apply. If you were to be in Bolivia or similar, there aren't any country restrictions and world restrictions would apply.

Of course, for now, if it is legal in your country, you can compile your own regulatory.bin and replace the pineapples. That will work without issues.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Hey,

how you make the crda and the wireless-regdb without those packages: python-m2crypto libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libnl-dev?

10x for your time,

GeHeNoM.

Hey,

how you make the crda and the wireless-regdb without those packages: python-m2crypto libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev libnl-dev?

10x for your time,

GeHeNoM.

Well, you can't. You need them to do the build.

If I understand what you are asking, are you trying to compile directly on the pineapple? Don't do that if so. You will need to build the files on your laptop or desktop and then move them to the pineapple.

Best,

Sebkinne

Well, you can't. You need them to do the build.

If I understand what you are asking, are you trying to compile directly on the pineapple? Don't do that if so. You will need to build the files on your laptop or desktop and then move them to the pineapple.

Best,

Sebkinne

It's OK for the wireless-regdb but you have to compile crda on the pineapple. Tell me if i wrong.

You know what the crda change on the device so i can copy it from another computer?

10x for your time. :]

I think you are wrong,

Follow the steps from this tutorial,

http://blog.binaryfactory.ca/2012/09/setting-txpower-as-high-as-your-card-can-go/

The compile of crda come after the copy of the new regulatory.bin.

I've tried it but it not work if i just copy the regulatory.bin file.

The miising package to copile crda is "libnl-dev". is threre any way to get this package to the pineapple?

10x, GeHeNoM.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a post I've just made that will help you out, http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/29082-signal-boosting/

And I'm a bit pissed off as I have the awus036nha, seems mine is locked down to 20db, unless I use it on my linux laptop, then I can actually coax it up to 27db, but sadly seeing as I bought it to go hand in hand with my pineapple it's of little use unless someone knows a way to reflash it?

Edited by Aranadin

Yep. I had the same sentiments upon discovering this fact. In fact the NHA is only capable of about 640mW max output, despite often being touted by some vendors as 2000mW which is ludicrous. Although it's not 'N' capable, I've been using my AWUS036H. Oddly enough still the best of the Alfa line. If I have a specific need for 'N' capabiltiy I throw a 2W power amp on the NHA and then tweak it down a bit.