vpn

ericj

is there anything out there that you can put on a thumb drive or phone etc. that if your some where that has internet connection that i can plug in thum drive and it gives me vpn access to my pc or phone etc.

Most VPN sofware will require administrator rights on the computer. If you have that, here you go.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovpnp/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a list of "free" VPN services that require installation of proprietary software. Anyone know how to access these networks directly w/out installing 3rd party (closed source) software, using OpenVPN or like Hamachi? Free VPNs are a great addition/alternative to free WiFi for testing and surfing (semi-anonymously).

ProXPN
GPass
CyberGhost
AnchorFree Hotspot Shield
Its Hidden
SecurityKiss
http://www.justfreevpn.com/

I found a list of "free" VPN services that require installation of proprietary software. Anyone know how to access these networks directly w/out installing 3rd party (closed source) software, using OpenVPN or like Hamachi? Free VPNs are a great addition/alternative to free WiFi for testing and surfing (semi-anonymously).

ProXPN

GPass

CyberGhost

AnchorFree Hotspot Shield

Its Hidden

SecurityKiss

http://www.justfreevpn.com/

Only free software I trust(and still am paranoid admin about) is OpenVPN. Great tool. The fact it hasn't been updated or changed in a number of years though, makes me wonder what lies under the hood though and if there are any unpublished bugs.

openvpn.se - Latest stable release: 1.0.3 with OpenVPN 2.0.9 (2006-10-17)

I have an openVPN server running at home on a Debian based Dockstar (see server config) thats been running for a couple of years and I can connect to it using OpenVPN client software on Windows, Linux or my Android phone. Recently I discovered that its possible to also run a Wifi tether and OpenVPN at the same point on Android which allows devices to connect via wifi over the OpenVPN tunnel back to my LAN without installing any OpenVPN client software (see client config). Down side is that this is still interceptable by Wifi Pineapple MITM near the phone.

Unfortunately I couldn't get USB tether and Android OpenVPN to bridge correctly. That would probably be the most secure way. Also I couldnt get my phone to act as a wireless repeater with OpenVPN in the middle.

Ideally a device that could connect as a wifi client, via 3g usb, or via ethernet cable and serve OpenVPN tunnel via ethernet, usb or wifi would be great - was wondering if thats something the Wifi Pineapple might be able to do one day? Perhaps have an OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client configurations? Then I'd buy two :)

-PG

Edited by petergunn

Here's one for the n00bs. How exactly does a VPN work? Can the admins see and decipher information (DNS queries and traffic) going through their network secretly? SSL uses port 443, typically. Most http traffic is set to use port 80. Is it possible to use a VPN through port 80 to host games and services like Skype?

VPN is a virtual private network and only encrypts the traffic between you and the exit VPN, masking your home IP. Its like a tunnel that no one can see inside of, but at the exit, like any other service, your request is forwarded from the VPN service to the target you request. It is possible, for a VPN provider to monitor your traffic, and may be forced to do so in a court of law, ie: a member of anonymous who used hide my ass, and was arrrested for hacking(I think at the time) Sony and PBS over their VPN network, and law enforcement basically requested access to the account and used it to track down the real person.

Home VPN's work much in the same way, except, you VPN home from say, the coffee shop, and no one at the coffee shop can see your traffic, but surfing through your home PC from the coffee shop, your home IP is the one in use as the exit to the internet, so while it stops snoops on wifi trying to read your traffic at the coffee shop, unless your home connection is also tunneling out to the internet, you still have to exit somewhere. This is where proxy chains and things like multiple tunnels and such can help, up to a point, like using netcat as a port redirector on several nodes, any way you slice it, your information has to exit somewhere to request and retrieve data, which is also why TOR exit nodes are not to be trusted other than casual browsing and bypassing censorship. At the core of networking, packets still have to flow back to you in some manner, so information at the exit that reaches your target destination is going to have to know something about you, in order to send the data back to you, or you will never get the info you requested. Just the nature of the beast. This is why wifi hacking is so sought after, but even it, can be traced back to an area to identify the source, for which if you were doing something illegal, best to use a number of things while on someone else's wifi, and be sure to only use the location once, and move on to the next hotspot or wifi network. Stay in any one place too long, and you are sure to be caught. If someone wants you or your data, they will get to it somehow.

• 5 weeks later...

The best product I found for this is something called NeoRouter. They have a completely free version and it works on a wide variety of platforms including directly onto a router running DD-WRT or Tomato. You just install the server part onto one system and the client on the other computers you want to connect to create a private mesh network. It has a portable version and even a HTML5 interface you can use to RDP into your remote computers if you can't run any application. The server is the only part that needs a port open. The free version is adequate for most regular users I think. If I remember right you can have up 256 clients with the free one. You just lose a few options like packet filtering and ACL controls. It was really easy to set up and if your servers IP is dynamic it has a built in Dynamic DNS service. Plus it loads pre-windows login so even if you have to reboot you can RDP right back in.

If you want it to use it to join computers to a work domain it is a little tougher since it uses its own nonstandard DNS but it can be done. If anyone needs to know how to save themselves the trial & error I had to go through, just let me know.

www.neorouter.com