Doing shows NOT about Android

technopoptart

Hak5 seems to have turned into a show about Android as a primary topic. Gone are the network, server admin shows, even the hacker challenge went away as fast as it premiered. Ever since hak5 moved into its own production office separate from Darrens living space the show has slowly lost its diversity of topic. Shannon is growing on the tech side but i miss her old gaming segments and my new girlfriend would love them. But I really miss the core admin, system building and tools. I have no interast in hacking android and it has no relevance in tech employment.

Perhaps Android segments need their own mini show? As it is I dont 'wait' for episodes anymore as Hak5 is of less interest anymore, and not very exciting. Just like Tekzilla, the good content is overpowerd or shoved aside by content from other shows or what belongs in other show. So yes i also stopped regularly (i barely remember it exists) watching Tekzilla when they merged the show with the one all about pricey Theater gear for 1 per-centers.

All good things must come to an end, as new people rise to the challenge with fresh perspectives Such as ThenewTech by former Hak5 host Matt Lestock. He is doing what Hak5 used to do, the things that had me thinking about the next show every day until it came out.

Regards,

Tekzilla is for the much less technically inclined (for the most part). I like the Android segments. Although, they seem to be more than usual lately, and I also do prefer the more server admin type related topics. So I agree with you there.

Pretty sure he doesn't frequent these forums anymore. May be worth shooting their feedback email a note or two about it asking if it'll change sometime soon?

Edited by foo

The things is, the concepts are still the same with system administration, just different tools. A lot more devices are going Android powered for mobile use so the show needs to adapt.

The crack the code challenges were fun, but I'm not sure of how many people overall participated. Most of the time it was myself, Netshroud, and a handfull of others. That and the bandwidth required and setup time and live man power was a lot for a few people to setup and keep running over the internet.

On a personal note about another mini show, I don't want to add more feeds to my YouTube account lol.

I think go with the flow. Trends change and I don't even own an Android device. There is plenty of other stuff still going on, and we also have Hak Tips and Theat Wire now, so be patient. They listen to the community and do topics we ask for, so just be constructive with ideas, and they always listen. What you may not like, doesn't mean the rest of us don't and vice versa. I've seen enough SSH episodes to last a lifetime, but Darren always comes up with some new tricks I never new about, and the same with Android hacks, they can be applied elsewhere and put as notches under your belt of things you MAY one day actually remember and have to come back to an episode to reference.

Don't forget, the show has been online forever a day now. There are plenty of old episodes I still rewatch, even season 1 and 2 stuff I like to revisit, so theres more than enough to go around. The show doesn't stop with just an episode. It continues with the forums, twitter, IRC, and so on, so jump in, make your voice heard, and even hit that email up: feedback@hak5.org or whatever it is and ask for things you want to see. I've already asked Darren to have Rel1k and Carlos Perez on for some Powershell Fu, so will be fun to see if that comes to fruition. I don't use Linux, so I've gotten tired of seeing bash commands I have no clue or use for, but days when i'm stuck working on linux boxes, I actually come back and reference Darren and Snubs tips, so its nice to have a library that fits a little nitch for every group, without being overly technical to the point the noobiest of noobs couldn't follow along with, and thats why I still watch.

"We are all just neophytes...."

Edited by digip

True. I imagine it gets harder to come up with new content week after week. I wouldn't want to deal with constantly finding that. These type of shows don't usually go on that much more than they have already, so I hope they're still enjoying it enough to keep it going a little longer.

im not a big android fan and its not why i watch hak5

lul well i doubt there going to use apple hardware

True. I imagine it gets harder to come up with new content week after week.

Not really sooo many new apps / hacks / code etc released weekly and hacking is very diverse

Just the Droid line of phones or all of Android? ;)

i own an android phone and an iphone, i dont prefer one over the other.

its mostly the droid tablets im not a big fan of, i dont like the ipad either, but the interface of both just dont mesh well with me, full disclosure time i own a surface, and an ipad, and have plenty of experience with android tabs, i never liked the ipad and gave it to my dad, and love my surface even though that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion to have.

long story short i dont like touchscreen very much, and i dont like the way the industry is going towards it, i want something with an easy to use attachable keyboard, that is easily portable will edit any document for uni work, help me take notes, play my video files, music, and read pdfs with a usb port to easily move media back and forth. my only gripes with the non pro surface is they are trying to go more to the apple side and lock things down. i have to "jailbreak" it to get java(not full do all java) and non allowed executables to run.

the main reason i want a tablet is portability, when i want to do the heavy lifting i use my desktop, or my asus gaming laptop, or use the remote desktop app to remote into my desktop if need be.

I think go with the flow. Trends change and I don't even own an Android device. There is plenty of other stuff still going on, and we also have Hak Tips and Theat Wire now, so be patient.

***snip!***

I've already asked Darren to have Rel1k and Carlos Perez on for some Powershell Fu, so will be fun to see if that comes to fruition.

"We are all just neophytes...."

BOOOYAH!! I'll second THAT request! Good call!!

Agreed on all other points, though I must say that even though I'm not a Linux guru, the incessant bash commands/tips/tricks...and just even exposure to Linux as Darren brings it (and lately Snubsie too!) have been eternally helpful!

I have to agree with what most here already know and have stated....things change, and Hak5 does a pretty good job of keeping it all fresh and keeping us on the cusp. I too often reference past shows because the content is still incredibly relevant.

it is close to linux. putting the android sdk on linux is cool. It would take lots of energy to set up a show explaining a software push options using linux. Sccm is what is used now. (sucks) I would like to see how to pimp a tablet with ubuntu. Get rid of the bloat ware on tablets. If it is still legal root an android device. Or IOS for that matter. Again Pimping out old hardware to run what ever os just to browse the net for trolls I mean Employees at work. Create a dev box etc. Create a default web page that people go to when they log into a wifi access point. The banner motd. Bring your own device. A simple victim pc to track what goes to your network. How to attract people who want to hack you. If your nasty ex is using her computer depart to screw with you. Basics of the command line. Zone minder audio codecs compression etc. Even tips on network cabling. Split the show up based on feed back or which week it is. This is my take. BB