[Question] New Duckys faster ?

webdirector

Im not involved in the hardware design/production.

But I believe their still the same chip. Are you running different firmware(s)?

Also, it could be down to the quality of the sdcard?

Im still on the red one, with a previously owned sdcard (sdcard that came with it died).

Isn't the new firmware 155Kbps rather than 80Kbps? Or did I just dream reading that somewhere?

Yes (Version 2.1), but you have to flash it yourself.

You weren't dreaming the post is here: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/28670-question-ducky-as-a-plain-old-usb-drive/

Maximising the most out of the SPI bandwidth.

It would be nice to achieve 4MB/s but that means money to the SD association ($2000USD+ for membership per year), any increase in cost would raise the cost of the Ducky, we want to keep the cost as cheap as possible.

Edited by midnitesnake

Is there anyway to use the card itself as a form of RAMDISK, which could extend its performance ratios. I know it would only be an artificial speed increase, so far as benchmarking goes, but it may decrease latency a bit.

Is there anyway to use the card itself as a form of RAMDISK, which could extend its performance ratios. I know it would only be an artificial speed increase, so far as benchmarking goes, but it may decrease latency a bit.

Apparently, this would only be marginal, not sure its worth the effort.

Yeah, you'd lose most of the overall gain through time taken mounting the RAMDISK.

However, for computationally expensive scripts, it would increase its gain the longer the script was running for. Anything that runs iterations, such as a bruteforcer would benefit, as once the ramdisk is mounted, it would pick up speed.

EDIT: Thinking about it, a ramdisk would mean a traceless attack. No bytes are written to the disk and the machine's own memory would be left untouched, bar the mountings.

Edited by ApacheTech Consultancy

Coming back to my orginal subject :)

My RED Ducky is stil lon standard Firmware. The new Duckys I alos did not flash them so I thought it was also still the same firmware. Can I see what firmware version I am running ?

As for SD card. I actually take the SD out of the RED one and put it into the new one so it can not be the SD card.

I guess something changed in hardware. I think it is just good for you to know.

Apart from using Linux and dfu-programmer to download the firmware images; and providing the MD5's there is no way to tell!

I cant imagine the hardware changing as that could lead to incompatibility with the community firmwares, its got to be newer firmware.