Jumpering Fans

careless223

A few days ago I tried to jumper the CPU fan cable on a old Dell mobo. I put it in a new case and no longer could use the stock fan nor did I need it. It shorted and fried the board rendering it useless.

So I heard somewhere a while ago that fans connected directly to the motherboard have no negative end, they just connect to the ground. Is this true?

If the above statement is true does Dell wire their boards differently to have the negative lead back on the board?

Thanks all and peace to The Broken crew.

A few days ago I tried to jumper the CPU fan cable on a old Dell mobo. I put it in a new case and no longer could use the stock fan nor did I need it. It shorted and fried the board rendering it useless.

So I heard somewhere a while ago that fans connected directly to the motherboard have no negative end, they just connect to the ground. Is this true?

If the above statement is true does Dell wire their boards differently to have the negative lead back on the board?

ok first this can't be true because it need to be a complete circuit for anything using power to work

Thanks all and peace to The Broken crew.

and second you have reached Hak.5 not theBroken....

[edited to fix phpbb code]

Did you even read the post? You do not need to have your CPU fan plugged in for your PC to turn on or work. Unplug it. Seriously just try it. See? It still works. You now run the risk of having your CPU core melt. Congrats! :D

Can anyone else who is not a total tard answer this please? (yes I know google is yor friend. been there done that)

Ok I did mis-read it however...

If it works without the fan why could you jump the connector at all?

I see it as more likely you fucked something else up...

(and me mis-reading/misunderstanding does not make me a "tard" but it does make you a shit.)