FUSE based file system... Amazon S3

jesseconsopolus

Signed up and loving it... thought i'd share..

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

then hit the FUSE up....

http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/downloads/list

and here is the howto mount the s3 into EC2 instance....

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=39361

and if you need to archive to Glacier.....

https://github.com/uskudnik/amazon-glacier-cmd-interface

rock it out..

lol, basically cloud-enable all of your asset storage without rewriting a line of code....This could also serve as a network drive for less frequently updated data, such as your desktop’s mp3 or photo folders, or a backup drive for nightly rsyncs... I personally use it for vz dumps and such... just a cloud storage.

How do the copyright and privacy conrols hold for the data in the cloud?

Nill. Always encrypt, before uploading, to any cloud based storage site, but that goes without saying. No cloud based storage company offers 100% safeguard or redundancy of your data either, unless you go with someone like say, Sunguard, which isn't so much storage, as it is a disaster recovery site that has all the same hardware as you run at your corporate site, so if your business burns down, you take your offsite backup takes, restore, and you're up and running from Sunguard as if you only have a few hours down time. That said, anything you store in the cloud, lock it up before moving it to any 3rd party storage system.

How do the copyright and privacy conrols hold for the data in the cloud?

I've never relied or trusted on any cloud based storage. Some may provide protection for your data, but it's entirely up to the end user, how they want to manage their data.

If uploading to the cloud, always encrypted it first, use Truecrypt and make sure you make a backup of it. Because if something goes wrong and lose your data, A) it's encrypted and secure and B ) you have a backup of it.

Edited by Infiltrator

Amazon has an S3 encryption client you can use, and you use SSE.. and query string auth. Its super easy to use... you can encrypt the data simply by adding an additional request header when writing the object, and it will auto decrypt the data when its retrieved. Pretty handy. You can also set up users, passwords, etc. Amazon also logs every request made against the S3 resources. Server access logs capture all requests made against a bucket or the objects in it. Plus its all backed by Amazon... pretty reputable source, you know...

although i do hear you Infiltrator, i have only used "owncloud" on my personal servers to ensure my data was safe... but this is handy for me to do vz dumps to. the pipe from amazon to my servers in dallas is gigE... so the 2gb vz dump, or 5gb dump is finished in no time.. on my slow, stolen interwebs at the house... that would take forever! i really see no need to encrypt a vz dump though... as not too many people know how to use it. but safe than sorry right?

Edited by jesseconsopolus

define not many people know how to use it...

Most people don't use it but its nothing but a google away, plus i find a vz dump an easy way to boot your os in single user and own your data.

As far as using amazon encryption set is a half and half deal. It is most likely secure but with them handling over 99 percent of it makes me worried, I would see if the source for it is open and tested to not have easy openings, Nothing beats a good encryption on your local machine done by you with the keys you choose as far as security in that sense. ( Dont write your key on a sticky note and hide it under your keyboard )