Power ON/OFF Wifi Pineapple Mark IV

KillerKlown

Ohai!

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I want to be sure: is it risky to poweroff the pineapple just unplugging the PWR cable? Do i have to ssh into the pineapple and power it off by "shutdown" or "poweroff"? To power it on, after shutted it down with the command, do I just have to plug in the PWR cable? Is there a certain sequence of actions I have to do to correctly power on/off the pineapple?
Sorry again, but it's an expensive toy and I don't want to break it :P

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

I'm a complete noob to wifi pineapple so I might be full of it here; but I do have about 30 years experience with various unix and unix-like systems.

In the old days before we had unix systems administrators to worry about running our machines, we used to type "sync" three times before powering down a unix box. My fingers just automatically do it without thinking. Interestingly, I just ssh'd into my pineapple and issued "shutdown -h now" and found that the pineapple doesn't understand shutdown. It does understand both reboot and sync. Reboot doesn't help when you want to power down the box, so I don't see an alternative to unplugging the power supply.

Wifi Pineapple is definitely the coolest toy I've had to play with in a while. I'm already thinking about building a clone on the ODROID X2. The lust for power never diminishes.

I'm a complete noob to wifi pineapple so I might be full of it here; but I do have about 30 years experience with various unix and unix-like systems.

In the old days before we had unix systems administrators to worry about running our machines, we used to type "sync" three times before powering down a unix box. My fingers just automatically do it without thinking. Interestingly, I just ssh'd into my pineapple and issued "shutdown -h now" and found that the pineapple doesn't understand shutdown. It does understand both reboot and sync. Reboot doesn't help when you want to power down the box, so I don't see an alternative to unplugging the power supply.

Wifi Pineapple is definitely the coolest toy I've had to play with in a while. I'm already thinking about building a clone on the ODROID X2. The lust for power never diminishes.

halt works though, I think.

-Foxtrot

I love using shutdown -h now, but I've noticed the Pineapple isn't happy with that B)

You could probably do an on/off deal on a hardware level, go from the DC plug out , put a switch in line and dress it up? Obviously halt the system first if necessary.

Have you tried a safe just "poweroff" vs shutdown -h now ? Shutdown -h now will abruptly kill processes from what I recall as a poweroff will safely shutdown the system? Someone linux familiar can clarify that for us, but I would just use poweroff from the cli if thats what you're doing and just shutting down the device.

Edited by digip

• 9 months later...

Well my pineapple has not gone well off pulling the cable. I have lost count of the times that have been deleted infusions within the sd card into the "infusions" folder off that way.
I try to make a halt every time I turn off the pineapple (even then sometimes I also lost some of them, but only what's inside the folder infusions, the rest remains intact until yesterday, I lost (again) everything, including the average area of the web interface.
What I have done is to re-flash the firmware "stager.bin" and the whole process from 0.
Now I'm trying yet again .... but in short, you are missing a way to turn off the pineapple "correctly"

Well my pineapple has not gone well off pulling the cable. I have lost count of the times that have been deleted infusions within the sd card into the "infusions" folder off that way.

I try to make a halt every time I turn off the pineapple (even then sometimes I also lost some of them, but only what's inside the folder infusions, the rest remains intact until yesterday, I lost (again) everything, including the average area of the web interface.

What I have done is to re-flash the firmware "stager.bin" and the whole process from 0.

Now I'm trying yet again .... but in short, you are missing a way to turn off the pineapple "correctly"

It depends on the SD card speed. The SD cards which come with a WiFi Pineapple MKV aren't the fastest, but will usually get the job done. If you want to prevent this issue, I recommend a class 10 micro SD card.

Beat regards,

Sebkinne