Super newb need help on pineapple

So I have the pineapple the laptop and wifi. I got in the pineapple and can see the gui features. Now that where it Ends.

I have no other idea of what im doing. I am a real super newb and if anyone can help me i would appreciate it. i got online from the pineapple once but then couldn't get access back in unless i switched back to my other network then after going back to pineapple i couldn't get back in.

This is all exciting but very slow and frustrating. There is no one i know that is interested in this or cares about these topics so i dont know where else to go for help.

I you tube and read but its mostly foreign. i need a compass so show me the way.

i mean super new i have no idea about any terminal controls other then pinging.

Well man you really need to understand how a technology works in order to exploit it. You getting this pineapple will be good for this because it will make you look up and research something you don't understand how to do. Slowly, you will start to understand what is really going on behind those nice graphical interfaces that most users are accustom to seeing. I will list what you need to do below and you can most likly find any answer to a question in these forums. If you can't, then there is always Google.

If you are pen testing at your house then I would recommend hooking the Pineapple via the WAN ethernet port to your ISP/home router. This way you don't have to do Internet Connection Sharing. If you are going to be mobile and don't have a Alfa USB adapter then you will need to bridge your wifi on your laptop/computer to your ethernet port of your computer. This is all in the Pineapple Book. Since you basically have no idea what you are doing, I will assume that you are running Windows. Open up the control panel of your network connections. Right click on your internal wifi's interface and click on properties. Next click the tab to internet sharing and share your internal wifi connection to you LAN/Ethernet Network. After you apply that, then right click on you LAN/Ethernet adapter and go to properties click on IPv4 and click the properties button on that window. Enter IP as: 172.16.42.42 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 No default gateway and use 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 for dns. Click on Apply. I could be wrong on the order but it should be right. Refer to the Pineapple book... Install Network Manager from the pineapple bar in the Pineapple GUI. Click ICS tab and check the boot option. Select Source as "Eth0" to "br-lan" click save. Now you will be giving out wireless via your wireless on your Pineapple.

Get USB pen drive..... Create 2 "Ext4" partitions with one being 80% of the drive space and the other 20% of the drive space. The 20% will be your swap space. "Ext4" is not recognized by Windows so you will have to either boot up linux to do this or find a freeware program that can format drives in "Ext4" Again refer to the Pineapple Book for the rest.

I can't type it all man "Kiato" said it right look at the Pineapple book. FYI: You should really download BackTrack 5 R3 iso and either run it as a live disk or install VMplayer and create a Virtual Machine.

Good Luck Man

-Stealthkit

Have you watched all the hak5 episodes on the pineapple? There are several. They totally explain what to expect from the pineapple and (along with the book) how to get started. After that, give the wiki a try. If you've never used a terminal before, checkout Shannons basic terminal usage episodes on HakTip - its a great beginners guide. Watching the hak5 epsidoes about SSH certainly can't hurt, as some of it pertains to the pineapple (reverse ssh). If you need help, you gotta narrow down what you're asking us - What do you want to do with your pineapple and at what point do you get stuck?

telot

Haha in 12 minutes he's gotten six responses. We're so damn helpful guys, its ridiculous.

And yet I didn't get a single response to my sslstrip question last week (:::goes and cries in the corner:::)

telot

I'm agreeing with the majority of the responses. Spend some time on youtube and with the forms on the capabilities of the Pineapple and what it's capable of. And spend some time with how you'll be deploying it and the types of computers you'll be wanting to "incorporate" (let's call it) with the Pineapple. Do some research and you'll find that not only is it pretty awesome, but powerful also.

ok so here i am. i have the pineapple hooked up to my router with ethernet cable and powered up. when im on the pineapple network i can get in and see the pineapple control center. now what ? lol i can turn on the services but if i try to go online i can't. when i have another computer on the pineapple network it cant access the internet. i can see the public ip if that helps.

If you really want to start to understand the technology then I would suggest looking into installing or running Ubuntu (or similar Linux distro) from a USB stick. Learn how it works. The pineapple is based off of similar tech. Understand one, you will know where to look for the other. That is the best thing if you REALLY want to get into this kind of stuff.

Like the guys above said, you'll need to go and look up how to bridge connections on a Mac in order to get internet access on your Pineapple.

This is what is going on when you connect to your Pineapple:

Your random device/laptop is here > You connect to the Pineapple here > Your Pineapple tries to use your other computers internet connection (bridged) to get out to the internet here.

By the way, you can't use the same computer to connect to the pineapple and the internet at the same time (Yes, I know there are ways, but for this discussion, we'll assume you can't for making this easy.)

If you're trying to use your laptop to connect to the Pineapple, and you have the Pineapple wired into your laptop, then obviously when you disconnect from your home network to connect to the pineapple, your connection goes nowhere except for in a circle.

You should really start learning how to use Linux if you want to get anywhere in pen testing. Download Ubuntu, which is very user friendly, and start learning the command line. Learn how to navigate around and get some basic knowledge of how it works.

Like StealthKit said though, "Well man you really need to understand how a technology works in order to exploit it."

If you were expecting the Pineapple to be one click and you hacked all your neighbors WiFi, then you may be disappointed in what you've purchased.

Edited by ShadowBlade72