AWUS036H vs AWUS036NHA

Ong0625

I'm confused to choose between AWUS036H and AWUS036NHA

I found out that a lot of review say that ALFA AWUS036H work out of the box while AWUS036NHA is atheros. I don't know how to decide between the two.Please guide me as well

I hope you guys can help me out here. I'm worry to buy AWUS036H because ALFA NETWORK stop to update the driver for this old model.

I own both adapters and they both work straight out of the box with Backtrack r3 x86 or x64 bit.

The AWUS036H has a Realtek chipset and only support the G standard, while the AWUS036NHA supports the N standard and has an Atheros chipset, which is much stable than the Realtek chipset

Now using these cards on Windows won't get you packet injection or monitoring mode due to the drivers, but if you are going to be using them for wireless pen-testing on a LInux distro besides Backtrack you can use the Compat Wireless drivers which works well under any Linux distro.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compat-wireless

So I wouldn't be too concerned about Alfa discontinuing support for the AWUS036H drivers, it will still work even after Alfa ends the support.

Edited by Infiltrator

I own both adapters and they both work straight out of the box with Backtrack r3 x86 or x64 bit.

The AWUS036H has a Realtek chipset and only support the G standard, while the AWUS036NHA supports the N standard and has an Atheros chipset, which is much stable than the Realtek chipset

Now using these cards on Windows won't get you packet injection or monitoring mode due to the drivers, but if you are going to be using them for wireless pen-testing on a LInux distro besides Backtrack you can use the Compat Wireless drivers which works well under any Linux distro.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compat-wireless

So I wouldn't be too concerned about Alfa discontinuing support for the AWUS036H drivers, it will still work even after Alfa ends the support.

Thanks for the fast reply.I got search about it but they said AWUS036NHA not stable as AWUS036H at backtrack 5,is it true? Because I'm still a beginner and hope I can develop and learn some skill. I scared AWUS036NHA got compatible issue that need some advanced skills to solve it as well.

Thanks for the advise,will look on for it :) I'm not that advanced to understand all the things yet,sorry for my bad and newbie.

Okay,It seems like driver support not an issue now.

Anyway,overall which adapter will you recommend me as a newbie. Thank you very much :)

Well, I've been using the Alfa AWUS036NHA for sometime now and didn't notice any performance or stability issues.

However, I was not using this adapter on Backtrack, but on CentOS. CentOS is alot more stable than Backtrack, which could explain for the sudden instability on the adapter.

I'd recommend you to go with the AWUS036NHA if you can.

Edited by Infiltrator

Well, I've been using the Alfa AWUS036NHA for sometime now and didn't notice any performance or stability issues.

However, I was not using this adapter on Backtrack, but on CentOS. CentOS is alot more stable than Backtrack, which could explain for the sudden instability on the adapter.

Thanks,I had made my decision to go with your opinion which is the AWUS036NHA,thanks for the guidance.

Anyway,how is the range of AWUS036NHA compare to AWUS036H. As what I searched through the google,they said NHA far shorter than H,is it true?

Thanks,I had made my decision to go with your opinion which is the AWUS036NHA,thanks for the guidance.

Anyway,how is the range of AWUS036NHA compare to AWUS036H. As what I searched through the google,they said NHA far shorter than H,is it true?

Apparently that's what it seems, the AWUS036NHA has a shorter range than the AWUS036H. But it's faster than the AWUS036H. But if you upgrade the antenna to a directional antenna like the yagi-uda antenna you could maximize the range. Just beware that, the surroundings will have an impact on the range, so any buildings, trees or walls on the path will greatly reduce the range too.

Since I own the two adapters, I have two antennas a 5dbi and 9dbi onmi-directional antenna, which helps me get a better signal around me.

Edited by Infiltrator

Apparently that's what it seems, the AWUS036NHA has a shorter range than the AWUS036H. But it's faster than the AWUS036H. But if you upgrade the antenna to a directional antenna like the yagi-uda antenna you could maximize the range. Just beware that, the surroundings will have an impact on the range, so any buildings, trees or walls on the path will greatly reduce the range too.

Since I own the two adapters, I have two antennas a 5dbi and 9dbi onmi-directional antenna, which helps me get a better signal around me.

Thank you for help me made the decision. I had ordered an AWUS036NHA model,excited to try it out. Appreciate your help.

The adapter I ordered just came with an antenna that is 5dbi,should I buy another antenna for upgrade or just using it is fine? the yagi-uda antenna could cost

Thank you again for your valuable reply and advise.

For your information,I order a 7dbi directional alfa APA M05,how is it?

They are good directional antennas and I do recommend them, moreover they are not as good as a grid directional antenna.

http://www.simplewifi.com/parabolicgrid.html?sl=EN

Make sure you operate this type of antennas outside your room/house for better range and reception. Also be advised that, obstacles on it's path will affect the range of these antennas.

They are good directional antennas and I do recommend them, moreover they are not as good as a grid directional antenna.

http://www.simplewifi.com/parabolicgrid.html?sl=EN

Make sure you operate this type of antennas outside your room/house for better range and reception. Also be advised that, obstacles on it's path will affect the range of these antennas.

Thanks I just got my item and I found the wireless AWUS036NHA got a bit sound when i load page or whatever like downloading thing. I got a bit of buzz sound when i put my ear near on it. and the link keep on blinking.

Thanks for the explanation and advise :) I got around 4 bar strength from my house wireless,it is normal or weak?

Edited by Ong0625

Thanks I just got my item and I found the wireless AWUS036NHA got a bit sound when i load page or whatever like downloading thing. I got a bit of buzz sound when i put my ear near on it. and the link keep on blinking.

Thanks for the explanation and advise :) I got around 4 bar strength from my house wireless,it is normal or weak?

Have you issued more transmition power to your wifi usb adapter? If not.... I have typed out the linux commands

iw reg set BO

iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30 If you have onboard wireless as well your usb wifi adapter could show up as wlan1

Hope this helps ;)

-Stealthkit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Infiltrator, when you run your AWUS036H in BT5r3 do you get a constant, rapid flickering of the LED? I'm running BT5r3 from a Live USB install. When I bring up my adapter (ifconfig wlan1 up) I get the initial single flash, but then some seconds after that, is starts to flicker rapidly. Not a slow irregular flicker like you would see on a modem, rather it's almost solid green.

Also the adapter seems to have a mind of its own. Even though I set the regulator domain (iw reg set BO) to Bolivia, and the txpower to 30, it seems to jump regions (hence power levels) almost at will depending on what I'm doing. It also has a tendency to get stuck on channel 11. I've always heard that the AWUS036H is supposed to work great out-of-the-box with BT5r3. What do you think. Is it a driver problem? Any ideas? Btw, the adapter works fine in both WinXP and Win7 with the correct drivers installed.