Change Pineapple USB mem from read only

Scanner Martel

After a long battle trying to get the USB set up for the pineapple i had a breakthrough but am not out of the woods yet. The device appears in the USB tab of the web GUI (image 1) and im no longer having to reset the pineapple when i plug the USB in, but when i SSH in through putty and issue the "mkswap /dev/sda2" command i get a message that says that its a read only file system (image 3). My instinct is telling me that i should just change this to read-write, so if anyone knows how to do this, or if this isnt what i should be doing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

also i tried issuing the "df -h" command and dont see the drive (image 2)

Much appreciated,

-SM

post-41626-0-37903200-1357525190_thumb.p (image 1)

post-41626-0-07672700-1357525211_thumb.p (image 2)

post-41626-0-47761500-1357525437_thumb.p (image 3)

Edited by Scanner Martel

I feel like you have one of the bad sandisk usb sticks -- there was a production run that went bad and quite a few people had the read only issue.

Toss it into a normal computer and see if you can partition it again.

If it fails -- call sandisk and get a replacement.

What File-system is on the drive, and if set to ro, try remounting it as rw

mount -o remount,rw /
or
sudo mount -o remount,rw /

or whatever the drive name is

mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda2

I feel like you have one of the bad sandisk usb sticks -- there was a production run that went bad and quite a few people had the read only issue.

Toss it into a normal computer and see if you can partition it again.

If it fails -- call sandisk and get a replacement.

i tried reformatting and it failed and sayed it was read only. Its the hakshop san disk. you think i should get ahold of them instead of sandisk?

i tried reformatting and it failed and sayed it was read only. Its the hakshop san disk. you think i should get ahold of them instead of sandisk?

Have you tried remounting it like I mentioned above?

I would double check and try what digip says first.

Then I am not sure, The Hakshop does a great job at taking care of the customers but I have no first experience on a return with them.

I know sandisk will take care of it due to the fact that I have sent in 5 or 6 drives to them now.

So its a up to you deal -- I feel like both are good options.

do this in ubuntu or sshing into pineapple?

If the File system is linux(based on /dev/sda I assume so), you should be able to remount the drive as rw. You might have to su to root, or sudo, if sudo is installed. Syntax might be mount -o remount,rw / or mount -oremount,rw / depending on the version of linux. You should be able to SSH into the box and do this as well. I have to do this on my touchpad at times when I want to delete or add something in areas that are read only, so I just make the whole file system rw, do what I need, then reboot. If you do get the swap file made(given it has enough space) you might have to add something to fstab to tell it to mount it on boot too, or you would have to remount it every time. Either that, or store whatever it is you are doing in a writeable part of disk, like /tmp which is usually open to write to.

• 6 months later...

Ive only just got my pineapple and all today ive had problems with the USB failing. I've formatted it a few times in an effort to get it working but now its somehow write protected and I can't do a thing with it.

At first i though it was the result of a power issue but now its write protected itself I'm not so sure.

• 1 month later...

If the File system is linux(based on /dev/sda I assume so), you should be able to remount the drive as rw. You might have to su to root, or sudo, if sudo is installed. Syntax might be mount -o remount,rw / or mount -oremount,rw / depending on the version of linux. You should be able to SSH into the box and do this as well. I have to do this on my touchpad at times when I want to delete or add something in areas that are read only, so I just make the whole file system rw, do what I need, then reboot. If you do get the swap file made(given it has enough space) you might have to add something to fstab to tell it to mount it on boot too, or you would have to remount it every time. Either that, or store whatever it is you are doing in a writeable part of disk, like /tmp which is usually open to write to.

WOrked like a charm, Thanks.