reboot the ruber ducky from application

madhak

Hi Guys,

Anyone know of a way to issue a reboot command to the ruber ducky from an application running from the host? or at last a way to tryger the payload execution...

I'm working on an interface app that get autorun by the ruber ducky, provide a list of available payload, once you select the payload it rename payload1234.bin to inject.bin then reboot the key...

Is that even possible? using OS eject only unmount it, it dosent cycle power... In DFU mode it restart after the firmware write so there must be a way...

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using the TwinDuck firmware

Edited by madhak

You can certainly script a reboot sequence, but why not just add that at the end of your payload when its done instead of trying to write back to the duck? I don't own any of the new ones, so not sure how they work but mine, you can't read and write to the duck itself. You have to remove the card, put it in a card reader, manually update or rename payloads stored on the mem card, then put it back in and re-run it. PITA, but why not just have a payload that reboots after its done? I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do. Either that, or build something like Iron Geek's teensy ones that have multiple payloads with dip switches which can be flipped for different OS's to do things and have a reboot for every OS based on the dip switch selected.

You can certainly script a reboot sequence, but why not just add that at the end of your payload when its done instead of trying to write back to the duck? I don't own any of the new ones, so not sure how they work but mine, you can't read and write to the duck itself. You have to remove the card, put it in a card reader, manually update or rename payloads stored on the mem card, then put it back in and re-run it. PITA, but why not just have a payload that reboots after its done? I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do. Either that, or build something like Iron Geek's teensy ones that have multiple payloads with dip switches which can be flipped for different OS's to do things and have a reboot for every OS based on the dip switch selected.

With the new rubber ducky 2 and the twin duck firmware it is possible to access the SD card from the same USB port as mass storage, Its too slow for a bootable drive but enough for small exe and script payloads.

I have an old one based on the teensy too... I used a small hub + teensy + flash to achieve the same result, see my old usb swissknife: https://madhak.com/?p=41

The new version I'm working on is quite different, it doesn't use a hub, it has a bootable side and a HID side: https://madhak.com/?p=398

I agree with what you say regarding the reboot not being needed as I will most likely connect it to my computer, select a payload, then connect it to the target computer, but I would still like to know how to reboot it from an application on the host... I just got my hand on the firmware source code, I'll see what I can do but I'm just asking if anyone know how already?

To recap; Rubber Ducky lunch App stored on SD card => this C application now running on host (Win or Linux) => Send reboot command to ruber ducky address

Thanks

On Windows you should be able to use devcon to restart the Ducky

link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

There is this post on restarting usb devices based on their identifers in Linux, but I've never tried it, the author reported that his USB froze!

Thanks a lot! that's more than I needed... Will add this in my toolbox