Insufficient Power?

Does anyone else have problems powering both the Pineapple Mkiv and the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 4Gb using the pineapple juice? For some reason every time I try to power over the battery pack the usb doesn't mount the drive properly. Trying to figure out if I have a bad battery pack, pineapple, or sandisk

Edited by airman_dopey

Does anyone else have problems powering both the Pineapple Mkiv and the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 4Gb using the pineapple juice? For some reason every time I try to power over the battery pack the usb doesn't mount the drive properly. Trying to figure out if I have a bad battery pack, pineapple, or sandisk

I wasn't, until the cruzer decided to become write only. Personally I think they're junk. I'm running off a sandisk 16Gb microsd card and reader and power it off the pineapple juice just fine.

Its been about a week since I last plugged this, so heres the usb card I use everyday, all day long and with all types of power packs (5-12v batteries and usb port powered). I highly recommend it

http://www.supertalent.com/products/stt_usb_detail.php?type=Pico

Enjoy!

telot

I tried both the 4gb SanDisk Fit and the 8gb. It only works on DC power not the Pineapple Juice. Does anyone at Hak5 know about this issue?

• Pineapple Hardware Version: Mark IV
  • Pineapple Software Version: 2.70
  • Is the problem repeatable: Yes
  • Steps taken which created the problem: running off of battery power
  • Error Messages: 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-platform
    usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -145
  • Log file information: from dmesg
  • Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: yes plug it in. :-)

Thanks

This is a known issue, which I thought was talked to death. If you send in only 5V into your Pineapple, you will get 3 or 4 volts out on the USB port. USB devices expect 5V, so this configuration either won't work, will work unreliably, or might work, but you're asking for trouble.The Pineapple really needs at least 7V in for the USB port to supply a reliable 5V.

If someone is Electronically inclined, modifying the Pineapple would be easy. Simply disabling and bypassing the internal 5V regulator would allow the Pineapple to run permanently on 5V input, and supply a solid 5V to USB devices. The downside is that, if you plug your modified Pineapple into something other than 5V, you're likely to smoke something.

Has anyone tried to run the drive through a powered hub? I figure if the hub itself is getting it's own juice from something like an Anker, then that should resolve the issue as the Pineapple is no longer responsible for powering the drive.

I have a powered hub coming in the mail, so I'll report back what I find.

I see that others aren't having any issues with some other brands of drives. Any info on why that is? Do those drives just require less power to run?

Edited by ShadowBlade72