Jump to content

How to connect a new laptop to a dial-up line?


Recommended Posts

I plan to get a new laptop which may look something like this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-x501u-xx039h-15-6-laptop-white-17056517-pdt.html

It has an Ethernet port.

Here is another example which does not have an Ethernet port: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-vivobook-s200e-c157h-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-dark-grey-18893012-pdt.html

However, in both cases there is no modem (or modem port).

I will need at some point to use a dial-up connection! Is there some device that will allow these type of laptops to connect to a 'phone socket (like in the old days).

If so - what would it be called?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned above, they make USB modems for phone/fax/disalup services.


Amazon has one as low as $8, but probably used - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=USB+rj11+modem&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUSB+rj11+modem

Either way, they are out there, but usually not something most stores carry and something you normally would have to buy online. Bestbuy might carry them but I doubt it. Most likely would have to ask them to order one, which honestly, I would just go with newegg or amazon if thats the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a stupid question and to be honest I have no idea what the standards are in Europe and countries of that area, Asia, Russia, etc. I do know that they have different bandwidths and protocols for their phone systems and in general faster speeds, but not sure if the wiring is a standard thing. In America, we have several wires but only 3 are used and 2 only really needed inside a phone in order to speak on the telephone. What they use over seas, would need someone who actually lives there to tell us but I am going to assume they use RJ-11, but might actually use more wires for different things in the connectors. Google should be able to answer your question though on international standards for phones and dial-up devices. I imagine the connectors are the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Russian phone socket will be either a RJ11 or a WT-4. If you are going to be using it in different locations then you will want to get an adaptor rather than take the risk of being stuck not being able to connect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...