Reaver Troubles

pers2981

Hey there,

First of all...

Pineapple: Mark IV

Firmware: 2.70

Layout: Android, Pineapple tether. USB0 -> WLAN0

Now that that's out of the way, I've just installed the latest version of the Reaver module onto the internal pineapple storage. When I go to scan access points I receive the following error.

No access-point found, please retry or change the wifi interface used (in left panel)...

Being new to the pineapple it is likely that I've just done something wrong in the setup however after playing with it for hours I have still yet to figure it out. So, here are the steps in which I have taken to install/setup/run Reaver. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can shed some light onto this problem.

First of all I transferred the latest version of Reaver onto the pineapple's storage via WINSCP and installed it via the PineappleBar.

I then started monitoring on the WLAN0 interface.

Once monitoring was enabled I simply pressed the 'Scan AP' button.

Is there another step that I've missed or does Reaver not even work on the Mark IV?

Thanks,

Jacob

Edited by pers2981

edit: after browsing for a long time and watching a ton of videos, i just realized there is a wiki... *facepalm* so you can disregard what I say below, or use it as motivation for a video tutorial. Though it doesnt get much easier than this:

Super Quick Start

wget wifipineapple.com/wp4.sh; chmod +x wp4.sh; ./wp4.sh; firefox http://172.16.42.1/pineapple &

Regular Quick Start

We've made using the WiFi Pineapple with Linux very simple. By default the WiFi Pineapple has an IP address of 172.16.42.1 and will assign clients IP addresses in the range of 172.16.42.100-150. Its default gateway is set as 172.16.42.42.

This means the WiFi Pineapple is looking for an Internet connection from the device with the IP address of 172.16.42.42.

A simple quick-connect script is provided at wp3.sh (Mark III) / wp4.sh (Mark IV). Downloading and running the script will walk you through the process of setting up the Ethernet interface and configuring IP Forwarding for Internet connection sharing.

Power the WiFi Pineapple and directly connect it to the host PC via Ethernet cable. Download and run the quick-connect script. Example: wget wifipineapple.com/wp3.sh; chmod +x wp3.sh; ./wp3.sh

Answer the questions as prompted and when complete the WiFi Pineapple is ready to use. Now access the WiFi Pineapple Control Center by pointing your web browser to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple

(below this line is what I typed before I found the wiki)

I just got mine and am worried about messing something up during setup. I've been watchcing hak 5 videos about the pineapple and reading this jasager forums for 8-10 hours and I still feel like I dont know how to set it up. Can someone experienced do an "out-of-the-box" how-to setup with backtrack 5 (since everyone should be using it anyway)? If not, it's no big deal but it would help A LOT.

The main reason I'm so hesitant to just attempt it, is that I spent a decent amount of money on it and there are so many threads about how to flash it, reset it, etc, that I'm scared I'm going to screw it up and then have no idea how to get it back to working.

Thanks!

Edited by d1sc1ple01

edit: after browsing for a long time and watching a ton of videos, i just realized there is a wiki... *facepalm* so you can disregard what I say below, or use it as motivation for a video tutorial. Though it doesnt get much easier than this:

(below this line is what I typed before I found the wiki)

I just got mine and am worried about messing something up during setup. I've been watchcing hak 5 videos about the pineapple and reading this jasager forums for 8-10 hours and I still feel like I dont know how to set it up. Can someone experienced do an "out-of-the-box" how-to setup with backtrack 5 (since everyone should be using it anyway)? If not, it's no big deal but it would help A LOT.

The main reason I'm so hesitant to just attempt it, is that I spent a decent amount of money on it and there are so many threads about how to flash it, reset it, etc, that I'm scared I'm going to screw it up and then have no idea how to get it back to working.

Thanks!

It's not hard at all. You can check out my videos on how to setup ICS in ubuntu similar to backtrack, flashing it, and setting up a vpn. Security4plus I hope it helps.

You have to use the same trick you use to get the site survey working. Toggle wlan0, then start monitor mode and scan for AP's.

<hijack>

I have a different problem though, in that it seems to just restart the pineapple after a while. I'm not sure if it's because the pineapple is filling up the internal storage with the log from reaver or for a different reason. Any ideas?

</hijack>

You have to use the same trick you use to get the site survey working. Toggle wlan0, then start monitor mode and scan for AP's.

<hijack>

I have a different problem though, in that it seems to just restart the pineapple after a while. I'm not sure if it's because the pineapple is filling up the internal storage with the log from reaver or for a different reason. Any ideas?

</hijack>

Did you set up the "swap-space" on your Pineapple?

This?
mkswap /dev/sda2

Yeah, did that.

I'm thinking; I have one of those weird USB sticks where it shows up a small non-writable volume, and a big writable volume - it might be the wrong volume?

I know what you are talking about... Go to resources in the Pineapple GUI and see if you see /dev/sda2 mounted as /usb. I ran into the problem of it just mounting at a different drive than the one that the mkswap and or USB partition were looking for. See if your USB partition mounted as /dev/sdb1. When this has happened it has been because I either had to much power into to USB hub and or the USB drive is busy when I killed it. Thus I think causing some bad sectors on the USB drive. Try to just plug your USB stick into the USB port on the Pineapple nothing more. I have done this and it seems that everything works perfectly. When I add a powered hub / Non powered it gets real picky. Without it the USB hub it is smooth sailing but then I am missing the other items *Wifi, 3G*. It is a tricky thing to get perfect because all it takes is power skipping for a second and then your USB drive will remount most likly under /dev/sdb1 and not /dev/sda1. Give just your USB stick a try and see what happens.

-Stealthkit