Cannot get the Pineapple to Setup

DrDinosaur

I can't connect or set up my new Wi-Fi Pineapple. I followed the steps in the guide and online exactly to the best of my knowledge. I don't see why this isn't working. It should be pretty simple, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't want to work. I can provide more details if needed. Please help, thanks!

• Pineapple Hardware Version (ex: Mark III, Mark IV, etc.): Mark IV
  • Pineapple Software Version (ex: 2.5.0, 2.6.4): Whatever the default firmware it shipped with is (I didn't change it as I can't do anything)
  • OS used to connect to the pineapple: Windows 7
  • Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information): I connect to the internet with a Wi-Fi connection (Wireless Network Connection). I connected the pineapple to my Ethernet port on my laptop to the pineapple's WAN/LAN port (Local Area Connection). Here is the result from ipconfig: Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.pace.com
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e1e5:c468:b293:8a1a%15
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9de3:238d:91f7:1c1c%13
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.42.42
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
  • All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: Default
  • Ping results from computer to pineapple: C:\Users\Dr Dinosaur>ping 172.16.42.42
    Pinging 172.16.42.42 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 172.16.42.42: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Ping statistics for 172.16.42.42:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    C:\Users\Dr Dinosaur>ping 172.16.42.1
    Pinging 172.16.42.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 172.16.42.42: Destination host unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 172.16.42.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
  • Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes
  • Steps taken which created the problem: The initial set up for Windows (on the included book and from http://cloud.wifipin...guidequickstart)
  • Error Messages: Google Chrome could not connect to ...
  • Log file information: Not sure where to get this from (if possible with no valid connection).
  • Anything else that was attempted to 'fix' the problem: Re-tried setup. I also tried to connect to my BT5RC3 VM with no luck.

Edited by DrDinosaur

Have you shared your internet from your wireless to the ethernet port? Also if you did, did you know that it will change the IP address to a different IP for the internet sharing? So you will have to change it back to 172.16.42.42/24 in that case. Try to ping your LAN interface 172.16.42.42 from your PC to see if your firewall is not allowing icmp reply packets "ping". Also just to weed out potential problems disable IPv6 on your LAN interface. This might be sound like a dumb question but is the ethernet cable plugged into the LAN interface of the Pineapple? and do you have activity lights on the Pineapple and your laptop? Let me know if that dosen't make any sense :)

Yes, I have the two boxes for the sharing tab checked. I'm confused on "Also if you did, did you know that it will change the IP address to a different IP for the internet sharing? So you will have to change it back to 172.16.42.42/24 in that case." I am still getting a ping to 172.16.42.42. I disabled IPv6 too. I have the Ethernet cable plugged into the LAN port of my pineapple. I see activity lights on both my pineapple and my laptop. I have the WLAN, PWR, and WPS lights powered on my pineapple and my ethernet port glows white on my laptop. I included a picture.

Coolgeek: he said that he is plugged into the LAN interface but good thought.

DrDinosaur: I will help you set this up via Skype if ya want... User ID is "Stealthkit" I have to run out for a couple of hours but try me in like 2 or 3 hours if you are available. Basically after you set your IP address on your LAN interface on the laptop and then you turn on Internet Sharing, it changes the IP on LAN adapter you just set the IP on. Well it happens on my windows 7 machine and after I turn on Internet Sharing I have to re-enter the IP of 172.16.42.42 255.255.255.0.

Sorry I have to run. I will check back in a couple of hours

Good Luck...

Use the POE port on the pineapple to the LAN port on your pc and you should be good to go

Ha Ha I was scratching my head trying to figure what was going on because I took when he said LAN port he was refering to the POE/LAN *Inside* interface.Thank Yall for throwing that out there.... ;) I got Dinosaur up and running on his Pineapple. :)

I recieved my Mark IV about a week ago and had no problem setting it up, configuring USB mass storage to a 16gb USB drive, and successfully using Karma and DNS spooking for facebook and twitter. Now it seems to work spordically and it seems like it is all messed up. Is there anyone out there that could log onto my computer and check out my pineapple settings and my files to see what the hell went wrong? I have reset to factory setting and rebooted many times but nothing seems to be working correctly now. Please email me at paulpartin@gmail.com if you would like to help a fellow pineapple user.

I recieved my Mark IV about a week ago and had no problem setting it up, configuring USB mass storage to a 16gb USB drive, and successfully using Karma and DNS spooking for facebook and twitter. Now it seems to work spordically and it seems like it is all messed up. Is there anyone out there that could log onto my computer and check out my pineapple settings and my files to see what the hell went wrong? I have reset to factory setting and rebooted many times but nothing seems to be working correctly now. Please email me at paulpartin@gmail.com if you would like to help a fellow pineapple user.

It's most likely a power problem. The 16Gb thumb drives use more power than the smaller 4Gb drives. Probably works at the beginning but once you start making the pineapple work(use more power) things get wonky.

• 2 months later...