How to use Wireless USB Alfa card on Backtrack Live CD or USB ?

Skorpinok Rover

lol...You need to provide more information!

what kind of info ? i just want to boot from my own pc through a through a live USB. all i need to know is how to use a wirless alfa card if i go through this option.

Hello,

I would like to know how to use wireless alfa card on backtrack Live CD or USB ? please suggest me if you have any idea.

Regards

Skorpinok.

As Mr-Protocol stated, plug it in, then issue the command lsusb. It should display the name of your USB wireless adapter Alfa bla bla.

If it does, the next thing you do, is type airmon-ng at the terminal. That will display your adapter chipset, interface name (eg wlan0) and your monitor interface (eg Mon0).

Hi,

I just got my Alfa awus036nhr. After a bit of work I got it up and running on Ubuntu 12.10 machine. I am able to put it into monitor mode using airmon-ng.

However, when using it with Wireshark I am only picking up Broadcast packets and no other types of packets are being captured. I have checked and I am running in promiscuous mode when I start the capture session.

Does anyone know what I can do in order to fix this?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just got my Alfa awus036nhr. After a bit of work I got it up and running on Ubuntu 12.10 machine. I am able to put it into monitor mode using airmon-ng.

However, when using it with Wireshark I am only picking up Broadcast packets and no other types of packets are being captured. I have checked and I am running in promiscuous mode when I start the capture session.

Thanks.

first you need to start by learning the difference between promisc mode and monitor mode, and what each modes capabilities, and uses are.

Hi,

Thanks.

Moniter mode

Promiscuous mode

Hi,

Thanks.

What other particular packets are you after?