Flashing serial files

condor

Where, o where did the rootfs.bin and kernel.bin files go?

I finally got the uart -> USB thingy from the hakShop and got the guts up to try to clean flash pineapple # 2. (I have had troubles connecting to this one damn near since I got it, and since snubs won't let me send it back then I gotta try something on my own) You see; I have 3 pineapples. #1 got burnt when learning about batteries :) but still works if I plug in the wall wart and wrap the excess cord around the device in order to create 'leverage' on the barrel plug. Great for testing @ home, and it was my fault it got burnt.

Pineapple #2 just stopped responding to connection attempts. I've posted and posted about this to no avail.

Pineapple #3 recently started doing the same thing as pineapple #2, just not as consistently.

I would like to try flashing pineapple # 2 through serial in hopes that it remedies the problem. Then I will know I can fix pineapple #3. Problem is, the link @ cloud.wifipineapple.com for the rootfs and kernel.bin files is broken.

It would be too sweet to have 2 completely functioning pineapples. I have gotten 'tango-mode' running but I have to use pineapple #2 as the 'piggy-back' one and disable it's wlan0. Then I have an alpha plugged in to it so it has at least one wifi interface to use. This is pretty cool if even just for research as I have learned alot by 'watching' traffic as I generate it.

Anyway, enough babble.

Can anyone point me to the kernel.bin and rootfs.bin files? Seb? can you email them to me? Mr. Protocol? Someone?

******************edit**********************

Found the files, I think. Factoryfiles.tar?

If this doesn't fix the connection error I'm sending these back snubs. I highly doubt I am the root of this problem. Considering it happened to 2 of mine. And many others have posted about this issue with no resolve. I've bought 3 plus a host of other items. I'm a good cust. I don't want my money back. Just a replacement. I'd even send 2 back to get one that works. I'm certainly not buying a 4th until I know they work right.

Edited by condor

Please help me with these questions:

1) When using the CP2102 USB device from the hakShop, I only plug in 3 wires? -> GND, TX to RX, & RX to TX? no voltage(VDD?)

damn thing has 5 wires.

2) I have a netbook (Acer Aspire one/winXP), and I have no COM1. I have under Ports (COM & LPT) in device mngr :

a) RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM6)

B) RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM7)

that's it for ports. I've tried using COM1(with putty) in hopes that the system maybe mapped (I'm a tard sometimes) this virtual port to COM1? NOPE. So then I tried using the Universal Serial Bus controller (it had a listing for the CP2101).

Perhaps I messed up when I let windowsXP find driver software automatically immediately after plugging in the CP2101?

ps. if you think I'm not advanced enough. I want to know. I have MANY more questions. Most of which I can answer through research and study, I just want some ?'s answered right away.

I'm gonna check the linux tut and see if that helps. I have btr5 as well, which I'm ok @ using. Preferred in most cases ;)

I did a tutorial on youtube on how to flash the pineapple over serial. I don't know if that will help. Question 1. Yes, only plug GND to GND and TX to RX, and RX to TX. NO voltage(VDD). Try to uninstall all Serial Port drivers. Then use this driver. http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip It's for the silabs 2102 uart ttl at the hakshop. If you need the factoryfiles.tar files I can give you a copy. Just let me know. Also if you see no output in the terminal just switch the RX and TX on the adapter.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Edited by TylerCPU

ok so Tyler, your link to the CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip file is broken, but I was able to aquire it through google and it has worked charmingly, thank you. However, now I am presented with a blank terminal screen. No options to choose from. I've checked and re-checked the UART wiring and it all seems fine; both @ the usb as well as @ the pineapple's board.

I have followed the wiki @ cloud.wifipineapple.com to the mark. Didn't supply power to pineapple 'til after having the TFTP server started and pointing to correct DIR, putty serial session with correct parameters and Local Area Connection ip settings changed correctly as well.

Any ideas? Anyone?

I will begin testing by using diff USB ports on netbook.

How is the netbook communicating with the pineapple? What with both the serial conn and the ethernet cable, I am confused a bit.

From what you said it should work now. The wiki your looking at is wrong about the picture tx,rx on the pineapple. If you don't see anything in the terminal on boot(pineapple) just switch the rx and tx wiring only on the adapter(ttl uart serial). That should fix your problem. The communication between the computer and the pineapple is over serial using the terminal. The Ethernet connection is for transferring the rootfs and kernel to the pineapple using TFTP. TFTP is like FTP. It's just a simpler protocol.

Edited by TylerCPU

From what you said it should work now. The wiki your looking at is wrong about the picture tx,rx on the pineapple. If you don't see anything in the terminal on boot(pineapple) just switch the rx and tx wiring only on the adapter(ttl uart serial). That should fix your problem. The communication between the computer and the pineapple is over serial using the terminal. The Ethernet connection is for transferring the rootfs and kernel to the pineapple using TFTP. TFTP is like FTP. It's just a simpler protocol.

The wiki picture isn't wrong, it's directly from Alfa. It's a matter of perception of how the adapter manufacturers label their "TX and RX". It's either labeled as "This is the RX" or "Hook this to RX pin".

• 1 month later...

The wiki picture isn't wrong, it's directly from Alfa. It's a matter of perception of how the adapter manufacturers label their "TX and RX". It's either labeled as "This is the RX" or "Hook this to RX pin".

I see. It makes since now. Sorry. I just couldn't figure it out why the rx and tx was mixed up. It must have been my adapter.