Emergency Topic Uefi

badbass

I cant understand exactly how it works and affects linux. Are there hardware devices and system boards locked to a specific os. How does the gnu/gpl deal with this? I know we can defeat this. Some of the stuff we worked through multi media codecs, video capture cards wifi, voip, ip v6, making the ipod work with linux. Hell my linux box is my alarm clock I listen to shoutcast and pandora. Recording studio. My television.

Any obstacles they kick us with we can defeat. Go team

Sorry for the second post this week had to be done.

This isn't open source, huh? I looked at the website and saw nothing about GNU. The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface "answered" a few questions... yet I can't discern how it will improve user experience (http://www.uefi.org/about/). Kind of confusing. It is a bootloader from what the site says... still, I do not see the problem with the ones of nowadays.

UEFI replaces the current BIOS system and allows signed code to run on boot up ensuring the OS is not compromised from what I recall. As far as I know, linux is fully supported though. However, starting with Windows 8, you won't be able to install it on a system that doesn't support UEFI. Thats about the gist of it. Other than that, there us supposed to be legacy support for older BIOS software and compatibility with Linux as far as I know. UEFI has been around for a while now, so I don't see it hampering Linux users down the road, but I think a flag has to be set in the kernel to enable it to use UEFI. Don't quote me on that...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Edited by digip

I appreciate you explaining it, Digip. I was all over the website and could not find what it was improving upon. My next question would be, "Does it also read whether or not it was pirated?"... or does the word "compromise" mean remote entry from malicious attackers? Sorry for more questions... but I am just making sure my head is wrapped around it :)

UEFI is a software layer between the OS, HDD and Bios from what I understand, allowing it to protect the OS and data to some extent, but also allows for different partitioning schemes that allow larger than 2TB drives I believe, something I think older hardware specs and BIOS's can't do? I could be wrong. Check wikipedia though, they have the low down on what it is more or less. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI