Encryption

Bountyhunter50

Ok so as an ongoing personal research , one thing I've REALLY been wanting to get into encryption. I know there are plenty of "free text encryptors", but I want to get into the encryption that doesn't require a key, or any of that jazz, i want to learn the hard way essentially. Anyone shed some light? :)

All encryption requires a key, it is the key that makes this pass through the data different to someone elses pass through the data.

Isn't there a way to sort of Decrypt without sed Key? If I'm blowing smoke tell me please :) easiest way to explain , think of Bond and M16, they see the encryption, and then BAM it's decrypted sometime later.

You can guess the keys (brute force/dictionary/hybrid)

you can find a problem in the crypto which allows encryption to be reversed

you can find a problem in the crypto implementation which allows reversal

You been watching Skyfall?

I'm planning on revisiting an old plugin from back in the day with email (of course I can't remember the name , but it's in Cryogenig Storage Backup) but it was after configuring the backend, write the e-mail, and turn on the plugin for the sed draft and it would do a double-pass encryption (I had it set for two).

I've been working on writing my own encryption algorithms and if you are just wanting to mess around with it here is a good platform for your algorithm.

(I am used to writing in java so I will try to explain this in words not code).

String key <- This would be the key to encrypt everything with (you can hard code it)

String toEncrypt <- This is the string you are encrypting

break the key into an array of the letters so for example if it was "lamekey" break it down into "l,a,m,e,k,e,y" then convert all the letters to their ASCII values.

repeat that for toEncrypt.

now you should have something like key = "1,2,3,4,5" and toEncrypt = "6,7,8,9,10" now just loop through and add key[x] to the value of toEncrypt[x]

1 + 6 = 7

2 + 7 = 9

3 + 8 = 11

4 + 9 = 13

5 + 10 = 15

Now here are the ASCII values for your new string. "7,9,11,13,15" now just convert each number back into a letter and then put the array back together as a single word.

That is very basic encryption and it is also very weak but it is a place to start.

I hope that made sense I am about to fall asleep right now

As you point out, it is basic and weak but I'd like to add to that, please people, don't ever try to invent your own encryption to use in anything other than playing with your friends. Regardless of what you think of it there will be problems, use an off the shelf algorithm that has been properly tested.

As you point out, it is basic and weak but I'd like to add to that, please people, don't ever try to invent your own encryption to use in anything other than playing with your friends. Regardless of what you think of it there will be problems, use an off the shelf algorithm that has been properly tested.

Agreed, also if you are going to use it don't rely on it. Use a better form of encryption on top of it like AES. It never hurts to have multiple layers of encryption.

There isn't any point putting AES on top of something like this, if someone can crack AES then this will be a minute of a job. Just use a recognised algorithm, a known trusted implementation and a decent key and you'll be fine.

Also keep in mind that multiple levels of encryption do not always add security, I remember a (very rare) case where adding more encryption weakened the strongest algorithm used and the added encryption was not strong by itself so in total the plain text was easier to figure out ... I can't seem to find that article again though ...

If you want to start in encryption, go for the eldest examples (Caesar cypher) and crack those, once you get to algorithms where frequency analysis cannot crack them things get really though unless you have a strong mathematical background.

If you want to encrypt text an added layer of encryption can be the language itself, a language that is not spoken anymore and that is not linked to one of the known “old” languages can be great (e.g. the native American code speakers) to hide the meaning of a language. It will not help against evil companies like google or anything government related ;-)

There was a talk about something similar at BSidesLondon this year, the guy was a stand in talk so isn't listed in the official line of speakers but the video should be up.

He was talking about random numbers where people thought they were adding randomness by layering things but were actually reducing it. It isn't normally something I'd be interested in but it was actually a great talk.

Bingo!

So I have an encrypted .txt file ( basic OS encryption offered in Mac OS X), If I wanted to base a personal judgement (to determine if it sucks royally), is anyone possibly able to recommend how to pretty much crack my own encrypted file?

hQIMA95OUJ1L93Q5AQ/+Oa9OoGuB48ZrpIfHnqOcgDY65nRPDz4H/iIiuU6M4Lbr

81VLgwioHzxHoEWbdMYOHJLOQmzZP54GQ0dGFGmmWSLm+UBJ9QNQnGmeMjQ8tpHV

l3LxYQRj0cqbF3lexXUU6KWr65iptEa4Nfj247h/M58/O6D9fn2CQJApAcEyrPJK

/b1xChVVsdWwFrGt99HN4M0JDl0qWFwtoMiIKIXBfpNLIzKhAwKa09lDhojzCKk1

RiybbsW4+dB8an7qqhKGyGo2YyztDo/UezXU5cIBo2VZ3AJN5JXQZl+OnkCST+l4

qo2ncIGUPKWf/wfFrQgQnTjPlF2TFwiOA+08WFw33OUHtjG60pRxAVlThkx/s3qA

/1lwkZY4CpS9IJih6077BfoUokJ1idxsqn/+JLE7UbAhyMwTaU4/tpL2skiRJEPo

AdfmbxQY8cTFZ67et/ZxZhk1vS+mCD7sSV55cD9U7ovii8MKFJ0eAts4my8CNH08

n7r6HP87jE6VuNkYDfYYIB0d1aqJA9Gdck8haZuxdvjfvVWNWRIoSz7RNMRIiwHj

1kBBUFfSg4UCQahbvAaSFAu0gnzbE0CMFEXTt8A0xIq8YEIQlTYU7OiY/p29ZhNJ

KBde+nC10eHZkUMfPM2O+odopB8qXxyI1tTAPso7fWW8jzEeT1E3AJowglesqy3S

6QE2qU86LR6KstPSqA03X0AJpMq1RB3Ea7rGnSblGpPX2HEWwfSPndm4q4iKPyUV