New idea for a custom case

n00b2.0

Hey guys!

First post! And all because I broke a heater, and got a great idea! Ha! :lol:

I broke my heater, electricity gets to it, but it doesn't heat. Thought about taking it apart, and fixing it...then saw it sitting beside my computer, and an idea struck me!

20121121000309.th.jpg

Why not "fix" a little computer (or even a beast of a machine?) inside the heater? It has vents all over it already. It even as a fan built in already. A power supply that pulls in up to 2000Watts. And loads of slots at the bottom for USB's, HDMI, etc. Mount this behind or near a TV, and you have a handy little server, noiseless (hopefully), and virtually invisible.

I got the idea from episode 3 of season 9. And it would be so much prettier in a photo frame. But this is still going to be fun to try!

Only problem I can see with this idea, is a graphics card. I saw this problem when I was watching this episode. I wanted to do this to my main machine too. But the frame would have to be insanely thick! The motherboard in the episode has on-board graphics. But I want a decent graphics card. So I can play games too.

Is there a way of putting the graphics card in the PCI-e slot, without having it at a 90degree angle to the motherboard? (In b4 "stupid question" ;) )

Also, does anyone think this is worth even trying? Any ideas for it? Through anything you got at me! Haha :lol:

That is perfect! Exactly what I was hoping for!

yes there are cables that exten the pci slot, its used in crazy bitcoin machines.

Here is a quick link -- http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004XD74MC

It was the first one I found so look for cheaper and stats before you buy

On a side note, are bitcoin machines worth it? Everything I've heard so far is that they are not even close to covering the cost of running the machine?

Ok back to the case idea -- I am looking for something to stick my file server in.

Its a mini itx atom board with no fans, 10 hard drives, and a laptop power supply.

So any idea of something cheap and cool looking would be greatly appreciated, also i would love to see pic of other peoples odd case mods!

Edited by leapole

Ya, I would love to see weird, and whacky ones too. I had this idea because the day the heater broke, I had seen this:

http://thechive.com/2012/10/12/epic-diy-coffee-table-with-built-in-computer-20-photos/

You could do something like that? Show off the motherboard, and sexy inerds of the machine, and hide the hard drives under the wood (or show them off, whichever suits)?

I really love the server in a photo frame, and will definatly do that one day. Im even thinking of having multiple frames, with different parts in different sized frames, if possible. Shouldn't be a major problem to implement.... shouldn't. Haha

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I would love to see weird, and whacky ones too. I had this idea because the day the heater broke, I had seen this:

http://thechive.com/...uter-20-photos/

You could do something like that? Show off the motherboard, and sexy inerds of the machine, and hide the hard drives under the wood (or show them off, whichever suits)?

I really love the server in a photo frame, and will definatly do that one day. Im even thinking of having multiple frames, with different parts in different sized frames, if possible. Shouldn't be a major problem to implement.... shouldn't. Haha

I don't think he used stout enough wood for that.... :lol: