Sandisk USB not mounting

Hi all,

I didnt really want to make a new thread, so - before everyone tells me to search through the forum, I already have. I found plenty of exensive posts on how to get the USB working, but nothing. and I mean NOTHING is working for me right now.

Im using the SanDisk 4GB cruzer as provided with the pineapple. I have Partitioned several times in Ubuntu/Windows using Ext4 and Swap. Using several differnt guides (from the booklet and forums) (80% for 1st partition and 20% for 2nd)

I have finally been able to get the device recognised by the pineapple

root@Pineapple:~# lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5530 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer

but It is not mounting.

root@Pineapple:~# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

rootfs 960.0K 240.0K 720.0K 25% /

/dev/root 5.3M 5.3M 0 100% /rom

tmpfs 14.4M 96.0K 14.3M 1% /tmp

tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

/dev/mtdblock3 960.0K 240.0K 720.0K 25% /overlay

overlayfs:/overlay 960.0K 240.0K 720.0K 25% /

Here is the list of devices in /dev

root@Pineapple:~# ls /dev/

bus log mtd1 mtd3 mtd5 mtd7 mtdblock2 mtdblock6 port random tty watchdog

console mem mtd1ro mtd3ro mtd5ro mtd7ro mtdblock3 mtdblock7 ppp sda ttyATH0 zero

full mtd0 mtd2 mtd4 mtd6 mtdblock0 mtdblock4 net ptmx sg0 ttyS0

kmsg mtd0ro mtd2ro mtd4ro mtd6ro mtdblock1 mtdblock5 null pts shm urandom

as you can see there is no sda1 or sda2. just sda

here is my FStab configuration

config global automount

option from_fstab 1

option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap

option from_fstab 1

option anon_swap 1

config mount

option target /usb

option device /dev/sda

option fstype ext4

option options rw,sync

option enabled 1

option enabled_fsck 0

config mount

option target /usb

option device /dev/sda1

option fstype ext4

option options rw,sync

option enabled 1

option enabled_fsck 0

config swap

option device /dev/sda2

option enabled 1

I know it is not the one not the one the booklet or people on the forum sugests, but I've tried them all already. I've even tried adding a sleep field in the /etc/init.d/fstab file above the Start field.

If someone could help me figure this out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Question, are you plugging right into pineapple or using a hub, and how many times have you removed and inserted it since rebooting the pineapple? After setting up my 4gb cruzer as described in the manual I plugged it in and had no issues. Are you seeing the indicator light on the USB flashing? (Pineapple or on the Cruzer)

How is your hardware set up? i.e. are you using the power adapter or USB battery pack with a USB hub etc.

If you are using the adapter and plugging the Sandisk drive right into the pineapple and still seeing this issue. Try another USB drive. Your drive may be bad.

Have you tried re-flashing firmware and starting from scratch?

Thanks for your replies guys

Question, are you plugging right into pineapple or using a hub, and how many times have you removed and inserted it since rebooting the pineapple? After setting up my 4gb cruzer as described in the manual I plugged it in and had no issues. Are you seeing the indicator light on the USB flashing? (Pineapple or on the Cruzer)

USB is plugged directly into the pineapple, Must have removed an inserted over a dozen times? USB light is on both pineapple and the USB itself.

How is your hardware set up? i.e. are you using the power adapter or USB battery pack with a USB hub etc.

If you are using the adapter and plugging the Sandisk drive right into the pineapple and still seeing this issue. Try another USB drive. Your drive may be bad.

Have you tried re-flashing firmware and starting from scratch?

I am in UK and the powersupply provided was for US, I am using the USB power from my main computers USB slot. I have also tried from Battery

but as USB hardware is being detected and lights are on, I do not believe this to be a power issue

Thanks

You would think so. But not with those Sandisk Cruizers. I have an 8gig one I bought but it won't work when I run from the battery. That's a deal breaker for me. So I use a different USB drive and it works fine. It's a LaCie MosKeyto 4 gig.

I Had a simular problem with getting mass storage to mount and found that i had not formatted it in ext4 primary mode, not sure if you might have the same problem.

just double checked and redid it with GParted, Definitely in Primiary mode and both Partitions are ext4.

I have tried in GParted. Gnome Disk utility, and I have also tried minitool partition wizard on windows

update with some DMESG outputs.

root@Pineapple:~# dmesg | grep usb

[ 6.250000] Registered led device: alfa:blue:usb

[ 10.590000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs

[ 10.590000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub

[ 10.600000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb

[ 11.610000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

[ 11.720000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform

[ 11.870000] scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1:1.0

[ 34.450000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb

[ 34.590000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187

[ 34.660000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb

[ 36.970000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc

[ 37.220000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

[ 37.230000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 37.240000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

[ 37.280000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether

[ 37.490000] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host

root@Pineapple:~# dmesg | grep sda

[ 12.880000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 131072 512-byte logical blocks: (67.1 MB/64.0 MiB)

[ 12.880000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off

[ 12.890000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00

[ 12.890000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present

[ 12.890000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

[ 13.010000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present

[ 13.010000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

[ 13.020000] sda: unknown partition table

[ 13.030000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present

[ 13.030000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

[ 13.040000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

root@Pineapple:~#

yeah you said you format it 80%-20%

try 100% ext4

if not you might have a faulty usb.

its working on your computer right?(the usb drive)

Yeah works fine on my computer, both Paritions show up. This is a brand new drive that came with my pineapple 2 days ago,

I created a single 4GB ext4 partition and still no luck.

It would appear my usb has /dev/sda and /dev/sg0, I cannot mount either of these. I get "invalid argument".

According to the PDF Booklet the included AC adapter is US/UK voltage compliant. You just need a converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Grounded-Universal-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0080R95XI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352336102&sr=8-1&keywords=us+to+uk+adapter

I have this exact same problem and I know what the problem is! Its a power issue. For some reason even though the lights light up on the USB you still can't access it. I thought I was a faulty USB at first so I tried 2 more with the same problem. Finally I tried using the AC power adapter and it fixed it! I don't know why but the battery pack and laptop computer USB outlets won't supply enough power. I just ordered another USB cable power supple from the Hak shop just to eliminate that as being an issue. Hope this helps.

This was actually discussed before. I don't know if I'd call it a design 'Flaw', but if you put in only 5 volts (Like from the USB cable), you won't get a full 5V out on the USB port. Some USB devices can run on less, and some can't. The Jasager's USB port has a regulator on it (So if you run it off 12 volts, you don't smoke your USB devices with 12V!), but that regulator needs a volt or so to work, so if you put in 5V, you won't ever get a full usable 5V out on the USB port.

I have this exact same problem and I know what the problem is! Its a power issue. For some reason even though the lights light up on the USB you still can't access it. I thought I was a faulty USB at first so I tried 2 more with the same problem. Finally I tried using the AC power adapter and it fixed it! I don't know why but the battery pack and laptop computer USB outlets won't supply enough power. I just ordered another USB cable power supple from the Hak shop just to eliminate that as being an issue. Hope this helps.

This was actually discussed before. I don't know if I'd call it a design 'Flaw', but if you put in only 5 volts (Like from the USB cable), you won't get a full 5V out on the USB port. Some USB devices can run on less, and some can't. The Jasager's USB port has a regulator on it (So if you run it off 12 volts, you don't smoke your USB devices with 12V!), but that regulator needs a volt or so to work, so if you put in 5V, you won't ever get a full usable 5V out on the USB port.

So I need something that will give out over 5v? Bit of a design flaw from the battery then?.. preferably I wanted to be able to use this running on the battery pack. where I wouldnt need a power socket.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem when I try connect my microsd in a modem 3G. The pineapple detect a device SDA but not mount the microsd.

One time, i try to mount /dev/sda in /usb (obviously it,s dont work) but second after the microsd mount as if by magic correctly :)

Now my last line in rc.local is "mount /dev/sda /usb" and the microsd work perfect.

this is not scientific but it works!!!!