Pineapple Drones

whitehat

OK, so I just found a new reason to try to unbrick my Mark IV and flash it. On another hacking website they had an article about some $350 drone with a WiFi radio.

Last year someone gave me one of those little drone helicopters you can fly with your smartphone. It only cost like $79 at Radio Shack (you can probably beat this deal) and it comes with a replacement plan. I'm thinking we should strap try strapping a Mk 4+battery pack on to a drone and do some "Wi-Flying".

No more walking right into the lion's den looking all awkward as you clumsily try to plug-in and/or hide your strange-looking device with the antenna and all that. Just get within eyesight -- or within radio signal distance if you have a camera on your drone -- and fly it into enemy territory, capturing data all the while.

If you got good with it then you could fly it up the side of a tall building and land on a windowsill, capture some packets for an hour and fly it back down! :)

OK I completely realize that this probably has limited sane usefulness for us and the windowsill part may be a bit on the optimistic side, but wouldn't it be cool to help pioneer the capability? Has anyone here done it and if so is there any video, because I'd love to see it? I could totally see the FBI and CIA lurking around reading about this, then deciding to rip us off and make a $500,000 version LOL

post-39400-0-89764100-1352087596_thumb.j

Edited by whitehat

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

LoL :)

I wasn't planning to sell any but I'm too polite to refuse! jk. If anyone wants to give this a try and compare results / discuss methods I'd totally be up for that.

What do you say, Newold -- why not build your own and post pics? You can get those drones cheap! DigiNinja, Mr. Protocol, Seb, Darren what about you guys?

As long as you accept up front that you may crash and break it then this could be a barrel of monkeys. You could even have a dual between two "Wi-Fly Pineapple Drones" if your drone supports augmented reality.

Edited by whitehat

I had a go at this a while back. Strapped the PCB to a Parrot AR drone (the old one) and wired a low-weight battery pack to it. Great thing about quadcopters is that they are really stable at most altitudes.

The main issue with all of these drones is battery life. At least with most commercial ones. The Parrot drone I used only lasted for maybe 15-20 minutes. That wasn't all flying though...

Anyway, quad-copters. Definitely the way to go.

Yea guys, I definitely want to see pics and vids!!!

I will hopefully make some this weekend. I wanted the AR Drone that Seb had and I almost purchased it a million times but the price tag was killer. I love the AR drone YouTube vids tho.

My cheap radio shack iPhone copter battery lasts 45min - 1 hour, but I am worried if it has enough lift.

Check out my post for more information pertaining to payload.

Sebkinne is correct as far as the flight-time goes. Also the parrot AR Drone runs off of 2.4, so make sure you aren't attacking your own self with the pineapple :P

Would also leave 1 channel unaffected as that would be for your drone connection :/

Check out my post for more information pertaining to payload.

Sebkinne is correct as far as the flight-time goes. Also the parrot AR Drone runs off of 2.4, so make sure you aren't attacking your own self with the pineapple :P

Would also leave 1 channel unaffected as that would be for your drone connection :/

In theory just blacklist the MAC of the drone.

You would want something like this...

http://store.diydrones.com/category_s/28.htm

A Hexa would have enough lift and flight time for the pineapple. The nice thing is you would have have plenty of juice to run the pineapple from the onboard LiPro battery or batteries.

Control wouldn't be a big deal if all you wanted to do was a survey or quick attack because with Arducoper you would just setup a flight path ahead of time and just launch it.

You could get creative with 2 way telemetry and a camera. You would then be able to park it on a roof for an extended period of time, you would just have to make sure you had enough juice to have it fly home.

No more walking right into the lion's den looking all awkward as you clumsily try to plug-in and/or hide your strange-looking device with the antenna and all that. Just get within eyesight -- or within radio signal distance if you have a camera on your drone -- and fly it into enemy territory, capturing data all the while.

I have been working on the problem from a different angle, trying to figure out the least conspicuous arrangement of gear to carry on my person. While looking like a mobile hotspot might be fun at Defcon it will not keep you from looking out of place. So far I am leaning in the direction of running most of it out of a bag, and then using an e-reader/tablet to control all the functions remotely, so that all the cables and such remain out of sight.

Overall though I think the flight option is pretty awesome, and opens up more locations for sniffing, as you do not need to be as close in person.

Yea that leaves 1 channel of 2.4 you can't sniff. Unless your frequency hopping for controls, otherwise the best bet would be to find another spectrum. Such as 400mhz or 5.8ghz. Generally 5.8 is usualy used for a FPV drones video, as video is data intensive and 5.8 offers the fastest speed but lacks distance. If you've got some smarts in the radio area you can just amplify the 5.8 signal for longer range. As well as using a special set of antenna's.

Directional antenna combined with an antenna tracker ground station combined with gps telemetry from the drone = incredible distance.

Edited by Banana

Yea that leaves 1 channel of 2.4 you can't sniff. Unless your frequency hopping for controls, otherwise the best bet would be to find another spectrum. Such as 400mhz or 5.8ghz. Generally 5.8 is usualy used for a FPV drones video, as video is data intensive and 5.8 offers the fastest speed but lacks distance. If you've got some smarts in the radio area you can just amplify the 5.8 signal for longer range. As well as using a special set of antenna's.

Directional antenna combined with an antenna tracker ground station combined with gps telemetry from the drone = incredible distance.

How about a 3g modem on board?

I want to play with drone blimps. Isn't stealth but you could loiter for longer periods of time(weather permitting) and have bigger payloads(depending on the size of your envelope).

How about a 3g modem on board?

I want to play with drone blimps. Isn't stealth but you could loiter for longer periods of time(weather permitting) and have bigger payloads(depending on the size of your envelope).

This leaves you open to being yaggi'ed or someone jamming your drone. It's possible to use a plane, but you would really need a good antenna/amplifier to do anything, plus you would need a way to fly around the target thus generating alot of noise and being visible.

Any copter formation is the ultimate form. If the pineapple could be powered by a smaller more efficient solar panel, then I'm positive it could be used as much as the drones motors/battery would last. If anybody can modify a solar-panel ontop of there quadro/hex/octo and see if you can generate enough electricity to prolong the pineapples/drones life.

Mind you this would only be efficient in sunny locations, i.e. southern USA.

I'm thinking 10-watt would be sufficient, I've seen some 10-watt dual(2) usb solar-panels on the market for under $100.

Edited by Banana

This leaves you open to being yaggi'ed or someone jamming your drone. It's possible to use a plane, but you would really need a good antenna/amplifier to do anything, plus you would need a way to fly around the target thus generating alot of noise and being visible.

Any copter formation is the ultimate form. If the pineapple could be powered by a smaller more efficient solar panel, then I'm positive it could be used as much as the drones motors/battery would last. If anybody can modify a solar-panel ontop of there quadro/hex/octo and see if you can generate enough electricity to prolong the pineapples/drones life.

Mind you this would only be efficient in sunny locations, i.e. southern USA.

I'm thinking 10-watt would be sufficient, I've seen some 10-watt dual(2) usb solar-panels on the market for under $100.

What kind of fight times do you want?

I am not to worried about jamming with a blimp, the autopilot/IMU is doing most of work. With a good IMU even spotty GPS is enough as long as you are in open air. As far as jamming what I am doing with a directional antenna I guess they could if they knew what the drone was doing in the first place but I wouldn't paint the side of the blimp with a pineapple or a sign thats reads "1337 W1F1 Hax0rz"

What kind of fight times do you want?

I am not to worried about jamming with a blimp, the autopilot/IMU is doing most of work. With a good IMU even spotty GPS is enough as long as you are in open air. As far as jamming what I am doing with a directional antenna I guess they could if they knew what the drone was doing in the first place but I wouldn't paint the side of the blimp with a pineapple or a sign that's reads "1337 W1F1 Hax0rz"

I was thinking of using the solar-panel to power the pineapple. The drone is to energy intensive, possible trickle charge could be provided but would most likely weigh more than it's worth.

The pineapple only needs 1-2 amps and consumes between 1000-2000 milliamps per hour. According to the handbook it can run from a 5-watt solar-panel.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Solar+USB+Charger/1115/1

Make your own solar-panel/usb charger links.

Or its possible to just buy a prefabricated one online for $40-$100