Friend Who Is Paranoid About Hackers Root Kits And Viruses

badbass

I have a serious question I have a friend who is paranoid about all this stuff. I cant determine if this is real or what? Is he hiding something?

He thinks his x is spying on him.

He also thinks the I.T department where she works is hacking his computer. (He says she sleeps with every one she can.)

He has pictures of her with another guy he says.

He also says they send her emails detailing things they did.

He says they put root kit on the bios of his computer and router.

He also says they put something on his iMAC. Which he found encrypted videos 3gpp's that came off of his phone when he used an un delete utility.

To top it off he thinks they rooted pc runing backtrack from a dvd with no hard drive and a ubuntu box.

He said they control his phone remotely.

He says they get his IP when he logs into gmail.

He has an SD card with shadow files on it from his mac. The files look like. He could of done this him self.

When I went over see this I found a lot of arp packets he says can you stop this I said no. Arp packets are normal. I did see the metasploit port thou3gh. A spam server from china was also nailing his network. 119 ip address.

He also thinks there is a hidden Wifi AP in his house so his x can spy on him that way. Coaxial cable all over the place. To top it off his X says would you like my guy to work on your site for you. I need to learn about web design.

HIS X did have a drinking problem. I can validate the drinking problem. I did see her after they went separate ways. If this is a game he has lots to lose. Is he trying to protect his own ass....

Sorry about the long post. Is this guy nuts is this a game. I cant get a straight answer on google about this!!!

Edited by badbass

I'm going to have to say that all of the stuff posted is highly unlikely, with some of it being downright impossible to do. If he's really worried he could restore a clean install which usually rids users of paranoria as well as calling the cable company and getting the IP address changed (while the computer is being reverted to a factory state). What it's looking like to me is he's too paranoid or his ex is downright insane, also it's damn near impossible to do anything to a bios remotely. As far as the hidden AP in his house if he's using a strong authentication like WPA2 with a strong password and WPS off there shouldn't be an issue with that, alternatively he could just turn off wireless and use a Ethernet connection.

If he thinks they are somehow getting into his PC (which would most likely involve them breaking and entering with the list you gave us) then I'd suggest he lock it down on both ends. Start off with encrypting the hard drive as well as getting a way to physically lock the computer as well (or lock the side so the cmos can't be cleared without the key to the lock, then passwording the bios).

Those are my suggestions but I really doubt he has much to worry about unless you flat out know they're doing something, in which case I'd get in contact with law enforcement like i said.

Really? I would suggest to give your friend a fire arm!

Paranoid delusions like you described are symptomatic of the onset of schizophrenia. Is your friend a teenager or in his early twenties? Thats usually when it hits...I would have him go see someone. He may fight you on this, but its to his and societies benefit.

telot

As far as being spied on by the I.T. staff goes, I never have an expectation of privacy when I'm in a school or business environment. Thats the only useful bit I got.

If this guy is being targeted by someone, than you should call the law. I know it may not seem like certian law enforcement peeps will make sense of computer terminology, but it still helps to file a report and have all this on record.