Recent Openwrt/pineapple Incompatibilities With Ruby

JayBlack

When I first got my pineapple I could opkg install ruby and other ruby packages just fine. Ruby "still" works... but irb and gem won't. I've looked into the fact that /usr/lib/ruby is at /usb/usr/lib/ruby ... I linked it. After that I seemed to have progress except I get a "/usb/usr/bin/ruby: can't resolve symbol 'getipnodebyname'" error. It seems that OpenWRT has a bad file in the package. One source suggests downgrading the zlib library... but the link given is bad. Another seems to indicate it's a makefile difference and a merge to an old version will fix it.

Are we able to build/fix packages on the box? I really would like to use the full power of the Ruby language here. Help would be greatly appreciated!

When I first got my pineapple I could opkg install ruby and other ruby packages just fine. Ruby "still" works... but irb and gem won't. I've looked into the fact that /usr/lib/ruby is at /usb/usr/lib/ruby ... I linked it. After that I seemed to have progress except I get a "/usb/usr/bin/ruby: can't resolve symbol 'getipnodebyname'" error. It seems that OpenWRT has a bad file in the package. One source suggests downgrading the zlib library... but the link given is bad. Another seems to indicate it's a makefile difference and a merge to an old version will fix it.

Are we able to build/fix packages on the box? I really would like to use the full power of the Ruby language here. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey JayBlack,

I would be happy to help you out there. Please let me know exactly what packages you need and I will get them sorted for you.

Please keep in mind that I am quite busy at the moment so it will take a day or so.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

These are the relevant tickets. Creating a link /usr/lib/ruby -> /usb/usr/lib/ruby fixed this ticket https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7804 and the current issue I'm having they still haven't resolved has to do with socket.so in the ruby-core package https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/9873 . They say it's "still a problem in the Backfire branch (at least when building with eglibc as libc library)."

For others trying to install ruby you will need to install a downgraded version of zlib as indicated here http://www.hackup.net/2012/01/openwrt-and-scripting-languages-part-1/ ... this guy never bothered to fix the problem I've listed here.

I can't find the page that mentioned merging with the old makefile to get things to work. But this is all the info I can find via Google.