[Stable Release] Mk4 Firmware V2.7.0 Release

Sebkinne

Hey everyone,

Since the last stable version (2.5.0) there have been many changes to the pineapple firmware. In version 2.7.0 you will find all changes from 2.5.0-2.6.4 plus the changes from the changelog below.

Changelog:

-Module System
-Large modules can now be installed without an issue.
-USB installs for large modules are only available when USB is plugged in.
-Upgrade System
-Improved MD5 checking
-USB
-Various USB fixes.
-Fixed USB wifi card issues. (Most cases anyway).
-PineNumbers (See Post below for more information)
-Unique identifier for your pineapple.
-Beta upgrades
-OPKG Source
-Changed package downloads to our server. Used as redirect. Can be used for emergency fixing of OPKG repository without client changes.
-SSH Banner now always correct version.
-Various bug / cosmetic fixes
[/CODE]

In this new version we are introducing a concept called PineNumbers. A PineNumber is a unique identifier for your pineapple. While it does not have much use for most people just yet, it allows us to tailor content to certain user groups in the future. It also allows us to gather anonymous statistic on how many pineapples are currently out there. This data will be made available to the community. We think it would be great to see some usage statistics. Please know that we currently do not gather statistics, we have just introduced PineNumbers. In coming releases we will start to have automatic statistic collections. Don't worry about privacy issues either, it is all anonymous and only the firmware version gets reported. Statistics help us shape the releases of the pineapple firmwares. Anyway, this is in the future. Please leave any comments or concerns in this thread.

Now that we have this stable version out we can dedicate our time to work of some more pressing features such as persistent upgrades, much improved UI, network manager integration and much much more. We also hope that the way we do releases (stable vs dev) suits your needs. Again, let us know what you think of it.

One last thing that should be mentioned: Along with PineNumbers, we have introduced a small script called betaUpgrade. This script will take your pineNumber and check if there is a beta available for you. If you are a beta-tester, this allows you to quickly flash the latest beta without having to download things all the time. A real time-saver. Saying this, we will introduce beta testing again for any bigger releases, so once there is a post on the forums, head over to http://cloud.wifipineapple.com and sign up for the beta with your pineNumber.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Download: Over the air through the webUI. (alternativly at http://cloud.wifipin...e.com?downloads)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MD5: [/font][/color]d87ddd475227f89cfb83973a2561dba8

Note: If coming from a firmware version below 2.6.4, wait for the pineapple to fully boot back up after flashing then navigate to http://172.16.42.1:1471

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As usual, please leave any feedback in this thread.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We hope you enjoy this release![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]-The Jasager Team[/font][/color]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation Instructions

If you wish to translate the 2.7.0 firmware into your own language, please download this file. Once done with the translation, please send me a PM on this forum. Please use pastebin or similar. Do not paste the translation directly into the PM!

We currently have the following translations available for 2.7.0:

English

Spanish

French

Dutch

Swedish

Greek

Norwegian

We want to thank everyone who has helped with the translation and want to encourage everyone to translate the UI into their own language. It doesn't take more than an hour.

-The Jasager Team

Flashing right now thank you for you hard work Sebkinne :) will report back

Edit. = flash went easy peasy. Solid as a rock. Only thing is I still cant get urlsnarf to actually log anything. I have winscp'd into it and refreshed www/pineapple/logs and the urlsnarf log files are always 0 bytes even if I flood urls with connected clients. it should be capturing the creds. ive also tried the urlsnarf module, logs to usb - but no output there either. :(

Edited by chaosengine

Where can I find my PineNumber?

Ah, great question. Simply go to your advanced page and enter this command:

pineNumbers
[/CODE]

Remember though, they are not needed just yet.

They have been implemented to be able to cater to different audiences better and to get statistics which will help development.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

2.7 installed and have already run the setup script.. works great so far! Is there a backup function hidden somewhere for USB installed modules?

Sadly not yet. There will be a way to upgrade your firmware with modules persisting but it will require USB.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Anyone else having issues with their karma/wireless after upgrading?

I see the ssid, but any attempt to join the broadcasted ssid results in a error, some platforms report a timeout error.

No other services enabled, just the pineapple broadcasting and I can't join. I enable karma but I never see any probes. So looks like something borked on my end.

Anyone else having issues with their karma/wireless after upgrading?

I see the ssid, but any attempt to join the broadcasted ssid results in a error, some platforms report a timeout error.

No other services enabled, just the pineapple broadcasting and I can't join. I enable karma but I never see any probes. So looks like something borked on my end.

Can't confirm. I just tested and it works just fine. Tested on different platforms and devices.

If the problem persists after a restart, re-flash 2.7.0.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seb, great work. Regarding the pine number though not everyone likes having a unique ID stamped internally in their firmware that calls home even for anonymous stats.

Can you please also provide details on how to strip out the pine number and (When it is implemented) the call home script / cron job. Will save me time trawling through the system anyhow to find it.

Edited by Isc

Seb, great work. Regarding the pine number though not everyone likes having a unique ID stamped internally in their firmware that calls home even for anonymous stats.

Can you please also provide details on how to strip out the pine number and (When it is implemented) the call home script / cron job. Will save me time trawling through the system anyhow to find it.

While I understand your concern, there is no way to actually remove the pineNumber. Sure, you can remove the program called pineNumbers but all it really does is provide a way to show unique information about your device in a secure and "pretty" way. The information to create the number is already on your devices and wasn't put in place by us. Hardware components etc. Saying that, firmware version 1.0.0 had the information that is in your pineNumber.

I hope this makes sense: Right now there is no use "removing" pineNumbers (found in /bin/). Do it if you want. But it doesn't actually remove the fact that there is a unique pattern connected to your device.

Later on, if the UI makes calls to the pineNumber to check for whatever we may want to use it for, feel free to remove it. It may mean that certain services are not available.

Hell, I have no idea what those services might be, this is just groundwork. It is mainly there to be able to tailor content (see /bin/betaupgrade).

I do hope that most people put enough trust in us to provide us with a few statistics.

Edit: A bit of fun on the side: "I just want to know how many of my babies are out there". Think growth charts etc. How many people are still using 2.3.0? Is there a reason? etc.

Oh, and to anyone reading this, please feel free to post your opinions.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Just wanted to say, after all my issues with urlsnarf. i have finially got it to be stable at logging. i had flashed and flashed using the web interface. so this time i connected up with the uart, serial clean flash using the latest stable. urlsnarf worked and logged first time, from the status page. scp in to view the logs. nothing in urlsnarf_clean but the main log file is filling up nicely.

So, i figure with my re-flashing using the web interface some files were left behind and was hindering my progress? - anyhoo a clean flash done the job.

Thought i'd report back with some good news for once ;)

Just wanted to say, after all my issues with urlsnarf. i have finially got it to be stable at logging. i had flashed and flashed using the web interface. so this time i connected up with the uart, serial clean flash using the latest stable. urlsnarf worked and logged first time, from the status page. scp in to view the logs. nothing in urlsnarf_clean but the main log file is filling up nicely.

So, i figure with my re-flashing using the web interface some files were left behind and was hindering my progress? - anyhoo a clean flash done the job.

Thought i'd report back with some good news for once ;)

do you mean you serial flashed the factory files, then installed the latest 2.7.0? if so you could have just did that with an ssh client.

do you mean you serial flashed the factory files, then installed the latest 2.7.0? if so you could have just did that with an ssh client.

4 :wacko: Yep that exactly what I did. factory files, then update.bin with latest 2.7.0

setenv bootargs "board=ALFA console=ttyATH0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd"
saveenv
tftp 0x80600000 kernel.bin
erase 0x9f650000 +0x190000
cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f650000 d695a
tftp 0x80600000 rootfs.bin
erase 0x9f050000 +0x600000
cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f050000 23d004
bootm 0x9f650000
reboot
[/CODE]

I did not know using an ssh client would work cus i was 'formatting' it. d'oh.

Are there any plans for php5 in the near future?

Yes, there are. The issue is that PHP5, without taking anything out is too big to fit on the pineapple alongside other things.

Of course, we could thin out PHP5 and cut out some things. We are looking into feasible options in this regard.

Until then, no. PHP4 it is. You will notice it is MUCH smaller.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

RE: pineNumberGate,

Maybe I'm mistaken (considering I'm relatively new to Linux), but given that everything here is open source, and anyone at anytime can see everything the code does, it seems like any concern over pineNumbers is misplaced. And even if everything isn't open source, this entire audience is made up of people with experience intercepting and analyzing traffic from different devices....

My point is, it's different when we discover Apple, Microsoft or Facebook keeping statistics. This just isn't the same thing at all, and doesn't deserve the same kind of reaction. This is a collaborative open source community designed to make something awesome, even better. I personally, trust the admins to only collect and use information necessary to make improvements. But regardless, when our entire user base is made up of developers, doing anything underhanded just seems retarded.

RE: pineNumberGate,

Maybe I'm mistaken (considering I'm relatively new to Linux), but given that everything here is open source, and anyone at anytime can see everything the code does, it seems like any concern over pineNumbers is misplaced. And even if everything isn't open source, this entire audience is made up of people with experience intercepting and analyzing traffic from different devices....

My point is, it's different when we discover Apple, Microsoft or Facebook keeping statistics. This just isn't the same thing at all, and doesn't deserve the same kind of reaction. This is a collaborative open source community designed to make something awesome, even better. I personally, trust the admins to only collect and use information necessary to make improvements. But regardless, when our entire user base is made up of developers, doing anything underhanded just seems retarded.

Keep in mind, there isn't going to be any sensitive data collected if and when that part is implemented. More of just a unique identifier to get an accurate count of how many are in the wild (with updated firmware), and what firmwares they are running. And as previously mentioned, to easily mange beta testing firmwares, etc.

4 :wacko: Yep that exactly what I did. factory files, then update.bin with latest 2.7.0

setenv bootargs "board=ALFA console=ttyATH0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd"
saveenv
tftp 0x80600000 kernel.bin
erase 0x9f650000 +0x190000
cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f650000 d695a
tftp 0x80600000 rootfs.bin
erase 0x9f050000 +0x600000
cp.b 0x80600000 0x9f050000 23d004
bootm 0x9f650000
reboot
[/CODE]

I did not know using an ssh client would work cus i was 'formatting' it. d'oh.

sorry I thought you meant that you hooked up serial and flashed 2.7.0, I didn't know you meant factory files. I if it fixed your boot config if it seems to be working better.

EDIT:

Just deleted my previous message.

I have figured out my problem with urlsnarf not logging. It is caused my sslstrip.

This is how I use my pineapple from Boot.

> enable Urlsnarf (from status page, or module)

>start sslstrip. (installed to usb, logs to usb)

>start karma.

Now, using that method, urlsnarf will start logging initially. maybe for a minute. then stop. (it says its still running from status page, just no longer logging.)

I have now tried starting the modules in different order, and found that if i run karma and urlsnarf together, urlsnarf works perfect. and continues to log. as soon as sslstrip enters the mix, urlsnarf stops logging. any ideas guys?

Just tried

opkg update
opkg --dest usb remove sslstrip
opkg --dest usb install sslstrip
[/CODE]

Was the only thing i could think to try that I havent already done... PS I am sorry for taking this thread off topic.

Edited by chaosengine