Powered Hub, Cut The Black Or Red?

lostngone

I bought this powered hub from the hakshop.

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/accessory/products/usb-powered-hub

I hear it isn't good to power the MKIV via the usb port but the first time I attached the juicepack on the red USB plug the pineapple got power. My question is, on the plug(black) that is going to the pineapple should I cut just the red wire(+5V) or the black wire(GND) or both?

post-37228-0-46139600-1349577907_thumb.j

I'm confused why you would cut any at all...

According to the description, the red USB is just to power the hub, and the black is for data.

You don't want to power the pineapple off this powered hub because it won't have enough power, give it it's own USB plug to your laptop and use a USB/DC barrel cable.

You don't want to power the pineapple off this powered hub because it won't have enough power, give it it's own USB plug to your laptop and use a USB/DC barrel cable.

That is the problem i am trying to stop. If I plug the red plug into the battery the black plug into the pineapple the pineapple powers up. I am trying to stop this from happening.

That is the problem i am trying to stop. If I plug the red plug into the battery the black plug into the pineapple the pineapple powers up. I am trying to stop this from happening.

I dont understand how the pineapple would be powering up if you plug the black end (the one next to the red) into the USB port of the pineapple. Unless I'm misunderstanding your setup.

Wow... i'm actually pretty impressed it's backfeeding power through USB. Hmmm..Very interesting. I'm not sure if it hurts anything or not by cutting the wire.

I just hooked up my Rosewill powered USB hub to my pineapple and it did not power on the pineapple. I'm not sure what to tell you. But if you wanted to really cut a wire, the voltage would be the one to cut. I wouldn't rely on wire color either. Take a multimeter to it and find out which wire is really supplying voltage.

Also...

DISCLAIMER, DO THAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

HAK5 OR MYSELF ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MODIFICATIONS MADE!

Just had to throw that out there lol.

You could also try de-soldering incase you want it back the way it came. Just needs a little solder work.