HilmiR

Hello,

I have a Wifi Pineapple Mark II, running on a MR3201A-38NQ router (an OpenMesh Mini router). I wonder if it can be reflashed to Mark III? It has been confirmed in HakShop's Item FAQ page that it can be updated (Mk II > Mk III), (http://hakshop.myshopify.com/pages/item-faq , Q: "Can I flash my Wifi Pineapple II or III to the Mark IV firmware?"), and a link to the forum is provided. However, I couldn't find any post in the forum with a step-by-step explanation. So, maybe you guys could help me where can I find the instructions to do so, and which modules I can use? E.g., which modules from the Kamikaze repository (http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/atheros/packages/) or the other ones, like sslstrip, jasager etc. can be used? I'm a relative newbie on this topic, so any set of clear and understandable instructions would be appreciated, and I wouldn't like to brick my Wifi Pineapple.

While searching for the solution to this issue, I found the following files on the web : https://code.google.com/p/awh/source/browse/#svn%2Ffirmware%2Fv3.0-091101 . How do you think, maybe I could use them to flash my router?

Also, before flashing, I would like to back up my Mk II data and configuration. Can it be dumped to the disk on Windows XP with the use of Win SCP and with linux file attributes preserved?

Thanks a lot for the link, Mr. Protocol. I will soon try to reflash my WP2 to get WP3 instead. Meanwhile, I have some additional questions: I often use a shared Internet connection on my XP Home, established between my AWUS036H and WP2 (I also have a built-in Intel Pro Wireless 3945 on my Dell laptop, but it's not involved in the ICS). Therefore, to make it possible, I've changed the Pineapple's settings in the following way:

Connection type: DHCP

Type: Bridged

IP Address: 192.168.0.250

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

The Ethernet address on my PC (from which the ethernet cable goes to my Pineapple) is as follows:

IP: 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: BLANK

Preferred DNS Server Address: 192.168.1.1 (my home router)

In the video that you have posted it's said that the initial network settings for flashing should be 172.16.42.42 (PC's ethernet adapter), subnet mask 255.255.255.0. But right now, my Pineapple's address is 192.168.0.250. Could I also use my network settings for flashing, or will they not work? Is the Mk3 version configured with 172.16.42.1 and my present 192.168.0.250 will not work? Could I afterwards have a possibility to use Webif in order to revert to my previous network settings, so that my Mk3 could connect to my PC's 192.168.0.1?

If you are using a windows PC to flash, I really dont think it matters what the IP settings are because WinPcap will ignore them and use the 192.168.x.x, at least that is what it did in my scenario. After flashing you will have to set your card to the 172. IP address to communicate with the pineapple.

There is no webif installed by default in pineapple firmware. Basically the connection between your pineapple and your ICS computer is it's own subnet to avoid conflicts. The traffic will still pass through to your network.

I could be wrong on some of that, but I'm at work and trying to get my VPN working the way I want before DerbyCon :P.

I've made it with the flashing (v2.1.2), though I have encountered some problems relating to it. First, it could't recognize my ethernet port (Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller) on windows XP. Only after I switched to a machine with Windows 7, it worked. Second, after I pressed the Factory Reset button and rebooted the router, it stopped sending back packets to my PC, which forced me to reflash it again. Otherwise, things work perfectly. Surprising, what can be squeezed out of this little box. Hats off to @Sebkinne and other developers, you've made a great product! Can't wait for the arrival of version 3 of the Mk III firmware (I know, that many of you, guys would recommend that I buy Mk IV, but I still think that Mk III has a lot to show off, and I wouldn't like to get rid of it yet). BTW, could you provide me with any links or how-tos or tutorials on how to use Mk III's features? It could also be good to have a side-by-side comparison of the architecture and features of Mk I, Mk II, Mk III and Mk IV. Something similar to the lists found on smartphone sites. Also, links concerning Pineapple mods could be interesting.