Which Android?

sawks

Hi folks, im ready for an upgrade and looking at the S3, the Nexus and a few HTC models.

Is it just a personal preference choice, or does one stand out.

I noticed the guys at Hak5 were given s3's but seem to be back using Nexus, so is the Nexus a better choice?

Any help would be great.

Sawks.

Hi folks, im ready for an upgrade and looking at the S3, the Nexus and a few HTC models.

Is it just a personal preference choice, or does one stand out.

I noticed the guys at Hak5 were given s3's but seem to be back using Nexus, so is the Nexus a better choice?

Any help would be great.

Sawks.

Depends on what you use it for. The S3 has better hardware, but the screen is too big for my taste. I dabble in Android development and hacking, and will now only buy future Nexuses (Nexi?). Reason being is they will get updates first and be supported longest, and they're ridiculously easy to root and flash custom firmware on it. I do like the HTC phones (good hardware on some, don't like the removable battery on others), but certain carriers disable rooting via the easy way, and you have to rely on hacks to get rooted, which takes awhile to develop.

Thats the info i was after, the s3 looked a lot more powerful than the nexus, but the nexus was the one that looked better for dabbling.

I was down to s3 vs nexus and you have tipped the boat.

Thanks

Sawks

ps anyone know if new nexus is on the horizon? worth waiting out for...

Edited by sawks

• 1 month later...

ok first of all you need to specify which S3 device youre talking about, and which nexus device. there are probably about 15+ nexus devices and about as many S3 devices. you need to compare specs to specs. saying "S3 has better hardware than nexus" doesnt make any sense. theres are samsung nexus devices, asus nexus devices, LG nexus devices, and HTC nexus devices.

what exactly is it that you want from your device? answer that, then you can pick the device for you.

ok first of all you need to specify which S3 device youre talking about, and which nexus device. there are probably about 15+ nexus devices and about as many S3 devices. you need to compare specs to specs. saying "S3 has better hardware than nexus" doesnt make any sense. theres are samsung nexus devices, asus nexus devices, LG nexus devices, and HTC nexus devices.

what exactly is it that you want from your device? answer that, then you can pick the device for you.

By S3, I mean the Samsung Galaxy S3, which outshines (hardware/spec wise) any current Nexus, all brands included. If you disagree, please supply me with a link to the Nexus it doesn't beat. And yes, I know there are several Nexuses (Nexi?).

I do agree that the OP needs to be more specific with what he wants in a phone in order to get better help. Then again, he said he likes to dabble, by which I still recommend the Nexus, by which I mean the latest Nexus which fits your needs.

By S3, I mean the Samsung Galaxy S3, which outshines (hardware/spec wise) any current Nexus, all brands included. If you disagree, please supply me with a link to the Nexus it doesn't beat. And yes, I know there are several Nexuses (Nexi?).

I do agree that the OP needs to be more specific with what he wants in a phone in order to get better help. Then again, he said he likes to dabble, by which I still recommend the Nexus, by which I mean the latest Nexus which fits your needs.

I believe he means model literally, as in international or U.S. models of the S3 (quad vs dual).

I personally love my Galaxy S3 (U.S. SCHi535) and wouldn't trade it for anything. The phone size is too large for some people but I have big hands so it works perfectly for me.

Edited by Radau