svchost error at startup

Guest K1u

What were you doing before this happened? Installed/changed/fucked about with anything?

left my pc on overnight one day and when i restart this happens i was running some stuff like zonealarm and other basic stuff... now when i turned on my monitor i had a message from zonealarm saying Windows Explorer wants to access the internet of course i denied it bcuz its very strange for explorer to want to access the internet. (i have ran spyware virus checks none found)

Well, there's your problem. Zone alarm ain't exactly bullet proof. Go and buy one.

Well yes its not (still pwns norton though lol) got any suggestions i dont have much $ :P

ADSL or Cable? If cable, see if you can pick up a wrt54g (one of the hackable models) from ebay. About £30 or local. But tbh anything will work ok, linksys, dlink, belkin or just some whitelable chinese model. Not being behind NAT will cause you a lot of sercurity concerns, as coupled with zone alarm its like standing naked in a hurricane with a toy umbrella for protection.

As for your PC, do a AV check, mal ware and root kits. If your 100% up todate with patches it might not be that bad, but maybe consider that you might have to nuke your install and start again if the expolited status is "unknown".

ADSL or Cable? If cable, see if you can pick up a wrt54g (one of the hackable models) from ebay. About £30 or local. But tbh anything will work ok, linksys, dlink, belkin or just some whitelable chinese model. Not being behind NAT will cause you a lot of sercurity concerns, as coupled with zone alarm its like standing naked in a hurricane with a toy umbrella for protection.

Yeahhh dsl hmm i have a router im thinking if it has firewall built in i dont think so its a stock one...

As for your PC, do a AV check, mal ware and root kits. If your 100% up todate with patches it might not be that bad, but maybe consider that you might have to nuke your install and start again if the expolited status is "unknown".

Oh dood i havent scanned for rootkits yet know any free scanners?

I personally do not like software firewalls. I have never really seen one that does it's job very well. If I had to pick one, I would go with Sygate, which Symantec aquired sometime last year.

All DSL modems have built in routers (NAT), dont mistake this as a firewall.

Hardware firewalls are a little bit expensive, but save you in the long run. If you are on a budget, pickup a WRT54G. They are pretty cheap now and you can change the firmware to add more features (Like a firewall).

At home I have a WRT54G router with DD-WRT firmware. Come to think about it, I need to update it.

Here is the Wiki entry on the DD-WRT. It's full of features and you probably will not use 1/3rd of them. However, it's nice to know they are there.

You could try and repair your OS. Here is a write up on how to repair XP but keep all the programs and such. It will just wipe the base OS, service packs, and restore points.

Then if all else fails, wipe it and start from scratch.

Also, Windows Explorer will check the network every once and a while to look for networked computers. You can turn this off by unchecking "Automatically search for network folders and printers" in the folder options.

And, Windows time service goes and tries to sync the clock. That service can also be turned off. Im not sure what program is used to sync the time, maybe explorer.

Other than that, I dont see why explorer should try and query the network unless you have other services such as hamachi or you are doing something on the network.

WRT54G's are cable/dls routers, so you'd need a dsl modem with an ethernet port on it. Which i've not seen many of. As for software firewalls, there only real use imo is to control outbound connections from your PC. Personally I like Outpost Pro 3.5 and kerio/sunbelt.

Off topic but have you noticed that ipv6 tunneling is borked on the latest version of dd-wrt?

I have just checked 3 DSL modems, and they all have ethernet ports as well as USB. Something I did notice is, if USB is attached it ignores the ethernet. Cant have both at the sametime. If you have a modem with just USB, send that thing back and tell them you dont have USB with all the new U3 hacks floating about =).

Im downloading the new DD-WRT now, so I guess I will find out in a second.

*Actually, nevermind. My Comcast modem is down yet again (And customer support wants me to transfer the modem to another address considering I recently moved). You would think they would give ex-Comcast employees a break once and a while. Im going to move in again in a couple of weeks so Ill test it out then. Or maybe take my router over to a friends house.

I have just checked 3 DSL modems, and they all have ethernet ports as well as USB.

Who makes them? I was trying to buy one a while back for my mum, and I could find a d-link model for around £50. And given that you could buy a dsl router for about the same cost, not worth it.

Im not sure what will be available over in the UK, but here I checked:

- Bellsouth sent my parents a modem that ethernet and usb ports.

- At work Netopia & Bellsouth both provided DSL modems with ethernet ports.

- And, I still have a Westell 6100 modem from when I had Bellsouth DSL. (Great Modem, crap ISP).

Westell Modems on Ebay

Fair enough then, get one of those. Do they support ADSL2+? BT, one of the biggest DSL providors in the UK gives you a basic router with most of there packages while other providors give you a usb modem. NTL, the main cable providor over here, gives you a cable modem with an ethernet port and has done for years.

Are you sure that's the 'real' SVCHOST? Why is it trying to write to 0x0 when that memory doesn't exist, that's the address someone someone sent me to crash a program containing something trying to write to it...

Could be a bug but you claim you've been hacked... see where I'm going here?