A New Use For A Tv

badbass

I have a new toy I finally got to use. It's a upnp device that connects to your tv. It also works with a flash drive or external hard drive has extra features not important. I watch hak5 and other things. Picture is great on my tv. There is some extra things I did. Setup media tomb on my pc. Imagine being a couch potato watching Hak5.

I watch hak5 from the xbox via youtube... but I get stupid chopped videos that tell me to go to revision3.com... Is it the Android from the hak5.shop? I was wondering about all of it's potential uses are... assuming it is similar.

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

It probably works the same . Xbox and sony ps are upnp devices as are new tv's. It has a usb port for wifi and ethernet. You can plug a usb flash drive or hard drive such as wd passport into it. I have my music and video collection on my pc. Now I can use thwm sitting on the couch. media tomb is a good thing to look into.

I have a Roku2 XS (the $99 one) that I use to watch Hak5 on the "Revision 3" channel streamed from the Internet to my home entertainment system (50" HDTV, etc) Indeed, couch potato watching Hak5 is glorious! :) The Roku2 device is really amazing for the price.

For my own stored media, I have ~14TB of audio/video spread across 7 2TB drives.

On my LAN, I stream to my 360/PS3 using TVersity. It's flawless and awesome. I prefer the PS3 for this function, but they both work.

For WAN access, I stream the same data using Subsonic. The Subsonic client is available for everything Android, even my Kindle Fire, as well as a web browser, and it all works perfectly. So easy to setup.

Both TVersity and Subsonic live on the same PC happily.

I have a Roku2 XS (the $99 one) that I use to watch Hak5 on the "Revision 3" channel streamed from the Internet to my home entertainment system (50" HDTV, etc) Indeed, couch potato watching Hak5 is glorious! :) The Roku2 device is really amazing for the price.

For my own stored media, I have ~14TB of audio/video spread across 7 2TB drives.

On my LAN, I stream to my 360/PS3 using TVersity. It's flawless and awesome. I prefer the PS3 for this function, but they both work.

For WAN access, I stream the same data using Subsonic. The Subsonic client is available for everything Android, even my Kindle Fire, as well as a web browser, and it all works perfectly. So easy to setup.

Both TVersity and Subsonic live on the same PC happily.

What kind of bandwidth is needed for that?

What kind of bandwidth is needed for that?

I just have some pretty standard stuff. I imagine about anyone with a 1GB switch on the LAN, a standard b/g WiFi on the LAN, and a decent Internet connection would be happy.

For the Roku2 XS, it's connected via a typical b/g router (though that Roku model has the RJ45 capability).

For the LAN, it's local 1GB LAN speeds

For the WAN, I have 24down/5up (it doesn't use but a fraction of that, however)

The Roku2 XS does a great job of streaming HD quality video. I've got 2 of them actually, and when they're both in use streaming HD vid, I still have all kinds of headroom left on the WAN for doing whatever.

TVersity is pure LAN (provides a Media Center Server), so it does it's thing with ease.

Subsonic is pure WAN (provides a web page and/or mobile clients) converts all it's video to "flash" and uses "jwplayer" which is integrated to the webpage as well as the mobile clients.. Very easy on the bandwidth.

All in all, I have to say it's perfect for my uses. I have 5-6 friends who use it plenty, many of us stream audio all day long at work via Subsonic. Easy to maintain, rock solid performance, and they both reference the same data collection.

Definitely worth looking into if you have a lot of digital content. The price is definitely right, and honestly you don't have to have a ton of b/w to make it all work. Subsonic takes literally 5 minutes to install and have ready to go. TVersity takes maybe 10 minutes + the time to generate the catalogs.

Roku2 XS (top of the line) = $99

Subsonic = $10 for a lifetime registration (mobile client is free - $3, depending on what the device is) - use for streaming to the WAN (web page, etc)

TVersity = $20 for a major revision (I haven't updated in years, still works great) - use for streaming to Xbox360/PS3

I have giant tubs of DVDs (I was an avid collector) that are now sitting in the basement. ;)

+1 for a Roku. I love mine and the Revision3 app is my preferred way to watch Hak5 - the only bit I hate is the US-centric ad before playing each video. I also watch a lot of Netflix and iPlayer on it - definitely £99 well spent.

hfam - Sounds like you need to consolidate TVersity and Subsonic into a plex media server (there is a roku client app) it's a much more elegant solution and that's how I watch my all local media files. It supports all the WAN, LAN, Transcoding features of both the programs you mentioned but in a tidier package.