Just Noticed My Users Folder Was Shared?

PineDominator

You described very little; aside from Win 7 64-bit.

Have you clicked on any links from emails, friends, etc?

Have you assigned this folder to someone else in your work space?

Do you have Win 7 Pro, Ult, or Home?

Have you checked your netstat -ano?

Are you using VM?

Does Microsoft love you (they don't, that was rhetorical :)

Too many questions for me to help answer your question. Perhaps someone else can read more into this than I can. Can you check who else can use the folder? I think you should be able to right click it and check its properties.

(This is not big league info, but could help nevertheless)

The users folder can be shared VIA internet, but a few properties have to had changed before one could make this folder shared. If you go to your command prompt; run as admin; under the DOS terminal, type "netstat -ano". This will list your established/listening connections. Go through this (if you run BT 5 <, Nessus, etc) list and write down what you know and what you don't. This can effectively let you know who is there and what is listening. If you do not know why or what is listening on port xxxx, then Google it.

Assuming your into the hak scene, you may have quite a few more open ports than what you should. On the other hand, before you change anything, check you PID (ctrl+alt+del), and if you see a notepad.exe, calc.exe, etc. you did not open... kill it. This could be someone escalating privileges to your PC is another that can set a foothold) To protect your stuff, make new passwords *make sure there is not a keylogger installed, for this will just give your PW out*

If you find anything, let me know... I will try to walk you through on how to find out who they are (if they are not spoofed). Hopefully, the info I gave will help you... if not... I am sorryz

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

If I remember right, if you share any folder on Win 7 the Users folder will also be shared too. I always unshare the Users folder when I share any other folder in Windows. idk what the point of Windows sharing the Users folder is... Most likely you were not Hacked or infected with Virus/Malware. Just Windows being Windows I guess. Hope this helps.

If I remember right, if you share any folder on Win 7 the Users folder will also be shared too. I always unshare the Users folder when I share any other folder in Windows. idk what the point of Windows sharing the Users folder is... Most likely you were not Hacked or infected with Virus/Malware. Just Windows being Windows I guess. Hope this helps.

Thanks misfitsman805

Possibly the understatement of the millenium...

"Windows being Windows, I guess"

CLASSIC!