Master Lock Dialspeed Padlock

Pwnd2Pwnr

I thought this would be a WIN in any scenario... Can I haz bike... probably... but, this is for school or something otherwise inside... Not sure if it is weather resistant... (tee hee tee hee)

Battery Life = 5 years (two tops)

Weather Resistant? = Yes

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

Or just use a soda/beer can shim, unlock it in like 30 seconds, no need to take it apart.

Edited by digip

You can't shim this model. Internally it works different.

See my edit, on the "anti-shim" models, they apparently "can" be shimmed too, just need to maneuver the shim a different way. Some locks also require a double shim, since they put the lock notch on both sides, instead of just one side now.

They said it's for Indoor use. Don't get it wet.

http://www.masterloc...etails/1500eDBX

They said it's for Indoor use. Don't get it wet.

http://www.masterloc...etails/1500eDBX

Stupid Ads biz website said it was able to be used outside... shows what they know!

Master Lock dialSpeed, the 21st century padlock: Hands-on Review | Digital Trends

I'm guessing this is pretty close to how that model works.

ah...thats a different lock than what I thought he was referring to. I thought the one he mentioned was with the new anti-shim latches. Oddly enough, I saw another video of a kid messing with one of those red ones that said if you keep clicking it down to reset it, it eventually unlocks itself too. Not sure if it was some mickey scam, or legit, but if clicking it twice resets it to lock the lock, how many clicks does it take to spin them back into the open position?

That's funny because all ten year old's need to know how to pick locks (shaking head in disapproval)... Although he is practicing for the next generation... you never know when a kids' heart is in the right place (wonder if his dad is in the VIllage) or how easily he can be persuaded to use that trick to impress others... not-a-so-good... free phone calls are a bit different than stealing physical merchandise; in my opinion...

If its a genuine flaw in the lock, then its worth knowing about, because I wouldn't want to purchase the lock if it has some flaw that resets the pins to open it with a few reset clicks. The kid could be full of shit and a total farce of a video, and I don't doubt that, but its still interesting if its possible to do.

Edited by digip

My daughter and I saw it at Target... Walmart... one of tem evil companies ;) . She saw this and got super excited. "Dad! Look at this...",, she paused , then said, "Can this be opened without the combination because its electric?". She is smart, but I told her someone cracked it and instantly didn't want it.

//did not add the fact the kid was 10, that will be my secret :)

Edited by Pwnd2Pwnr

If you are in the business of needing to get around a pad-lock then I don't really think that money is an issue. This thing is actually pretty indispensible when it comes to "bypassing" a lock.

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/benner-nawman-dcc-1618-battery-operated-rebar-cutter.html

If the lock isn't easily accessible due to certain counter measures, there really isn't anything that a battery powered grinder or drill with some good bits cant get around.

I'm not sure if it's just because I've been stuck in construction for the last 12 years, but "work smarter, not harder" is the general motto for us.

• 4 weeks later...

@digip

Love the response here. There is a great YouTube video of a gentlemen by the name of Schuyler Towne. It is a video of a demonstration he gave at Defcon on the vulnerabilities of locks of all types. He opened, or explained how to open, just about every type of lock there is (that someone would find in their daily lives). I highly suggest looking it up if anyone here is interested, very informative.

• 5 months later...

Now ... with locks like these you can either :1

1. wait for the battery to run dry

2. short circuit it by pouring water over it or hooking it up to a car battery....

LOL...I can think of a lot of ways to crack it but seriously, if I had to opena lock that I needed to get open, I'd look for a locksmith. End of story. I know some blokes at emergency locksmith Chigwell that are basically on call odd hours so you can get their service at wee hours in the morning or after normal hours.

Cheers! :)

Now ... with locks like these you can either :1

1. wait for the battery to run dry

2. short circuit it by pouring water over it or hooking it up to a car battery....

LOL...I can think of a lot of ways to crack it but seriously, if I had to opena lock that I needed to get open, I'd look for a locksmith. End of story. I know some blokes at emergency locksmith Chigwell that are basically on call odd hours so you can get their service at wee hours in the morning or after normal hours.

Cheers! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ridgid-Heavy-Duty-Bolt-Cutters-s36-bolt-cutter/15670816

Was gong to say, bolt cutters still work effectively, and in high school, even even learned to use a high end dent puller to tare locks off, including vending machine locks, although, those can be thwarted wtih a bit pencap and a file to make a key mold for masking the vending key shape meant for the machine, but the dent puller was much more fun to use.

• 3 weeks later...

ah...thats a different lock than what I thought he was referring to. I thought the one he mentioned was with the new anti-shim latches. Oddly enough, I saw another video of a kid messing with one of those red ones that said if you keep clicking it down to reset it, it eventually unlocks itself too. Not sure if it was some mickey scam, or legit, but if clicking it twice resets it to lock the lock, how many clicks does it take to spin them back into the open position?

In fact I have one that my cousing block and forgot the password, good thing he didn't had anything on the box lol, I'll try it out and tell you if it's true or not :)