The Next Frontier For Wifi

Ted Summers

Sowwy, i no click nawting... but, I did find this article. Ummm... guys... this is kind of, well, I FEEL very significant. It basically is using the frequency band that analog televisions used to use. Since the mandate to switch from analog to digital in 2009 (US only... not sure if this was done on a global scope), they have had these unused frequencies... BUT, the National Broadcast Association is NOT liking this. They propose that it would allow MORE people to access without paying their do's. Ummm... 400-Mps to 800 Mps short range... 80 Mps for long range... ummm... if it doesn't make me want to kill and eat brains... I am fricking ecstatic... Especially since I am kind of hip to analog frequencies!!!! OH MA GAWD MISTA KOTTER! (you wouldn't understand, kids)

Analog frequencies with 400 - 800 mps short range. 80 mps long range... I am making a frigging USB ANTENNA!!!! I got my old analog antenna collecting dust... hmmm... GOING TO THE DRAWING BOARD... Stupid NBA (national broadcasters association) tried to block this... but the FCC sees this unused frequency, and, let's face it... it is OBAMA... SPEND SPEND SPEND... lol... either a turd sandwich or a douche bag, am I right, Hak5?

As far as I know, there is no consumer equipment on the market to make use of this spectrum yet. You could build your own equipment, but the reality is this isn't going to work with your home routers and off the shelf equipment you get at bestbuy or radioshack. Although, radishack might be able to order parts to make a device capable to sending and receiving data over this radio frequency, it would probably NOT be something you would use with your home wifi setup any time soon. I'd say its still a few years off before we see it come to consumers and devices are available to work with these frequencies. WiMax and stuff like 4G cards, are best bet right now for long distance radio communications, but I don;t see this coming to market any time soon. Especially the people involved working on it, will want to charge an arm and a leg to use these networks when they become available to the general population. It all comes down to money and who has the quickest deployment that consumers can afford, where as most likely, this will be private sector stuff long before we see it at home.

Digip, why the hell can't more people like you exist? I know the ins / outs of most protocols, so that is why I would figure I would ask. I have a friend that say their company is spending a lot to align themselves with the white space (a major drug testing corporation) and he says that the receivers aren't even built to handle//decode network protocols...

All home networking equipment today, works on the 2.4 and 5ghz spectrums. You can intercept stuff like cell phones, with USRP type equipment, and even send data over walkie talkies and HAM radio, which HAk5 has done segments on in the past interviewing people who talk about how to do it. BSODtv even did an episode where they used police scanner type radios modified to pickup if I recall, USGS or such Weather satellite imagery with some wav decoding data. I beleive FOXX did a segment on how to send data over the home radio bands too, which required making the digital data into an analog wave form, sent over walkie talkies then revorded and decoded back to files on the other end. This was more or less a poor mans wireless modem trick. Check out their site (if they are still up) http://bsodtv.org/ Might be able to fidn video segments on youtube or links on archive.org

http://web.archive.o...www.bsodtv.org/

http://anarchivism.org/w/IPTV_Discs

edit:

Spoke with Famicoman today, to see if he had archived the show, sent me links to their Blip site, so you may be able to find more videos on this stuff on there:

The site is down because the server was redone and I haven't been given

credentials to restore the backup on it yet. It'll be back soon. I have all

of BSOD myself but not up on the site. They have their own streaming on

blip.tv through http://blip.tv/bsod-tv if you were looking for it. I

imagine I'll integrate it soon.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM, <digip> wrote:

> Get 403 on http://iptvarchive.c...mdline.org/>was looking to see if you had bsodtv archived?

>

Edited by digip