Safe To Mount Cable Modem Inside Computer Case?

scorpionv

I just built a pfsense router using and old epia motherboard and m-itx case and wanted to mount an old Motorola SBG901 (cable modem/AP) inside the case as well, it actually fits perfectly if I take it out of the plastic housing. Mainly I'm wondering is this safe to do? Also, when I'm mounting it are there any grounding issues etc I should be concerned with? Lastly, it looks like there's two SMA connectors on the on the Motorola mainboard, if anyone knows how to figure out what type of pigtail/antennas to use that would be a great help as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure how yours is, but my modem generates heat. Just think about cooling and maybe putting it in any kind of shielding bag, like the ones HDD's come in.

You're adding an additional electrical device not grounded to the computer case and chassis like the rest of the PC, so you're asking for trouble in that regard too. Rule number one when opening and working on a PC is to use a grounding strap so you don't cause ESD and damage components. Adding a device removed from its shell and placed in the case with a running PC, is NOT a smart idea!

Put the modem back in its housing, and if you want it out of site, mount it under the desk upside down or something like that..

Edited by digip

I just built a pfsense router using and old epia motherboard and m-itx case and wanted to mount an old Motorola SBG901 (cable modem/AP) inside the case as well, it actually fits perfectly if I take it out of the plastic housing. Mainly I'm wondering is this safe to do? Also, when I'm mounting it are there any grounding issues etc I should be concerned with? Lastly, it looks like there's two SMA connectors on the on the Motorola mainboard, if anyone knows how to figure out what type of pigtail/antennas to use that would be a great help as well.

Smells like someone needs to brush up on some A+... JK :)~.... If you are running ANY sensitive electronic in a room full of dust, dog hair, etc... you should NEVER EVER leave the core components exposed. And for ESD (Electrical Static Discharge if I remember correctly... been a while since my A+), just touching a chip can completely fry your components. Get a strap from your local mom and pop computer store; to help kill the corporate beast; and wrap your wrist and find an adequate grounding source.

As for the SMAs, Google some documentation on the product. I found A TON just by asking Google. BEST O LUCK! REMEMBER, ESD is your motherboards WORST ENEMY (next to overclocking old processors via CMOS switches and watching them fry themselves = WIN)

and also I agree with digip... there is no need to put the modem inside your PC casing. For instance, if you place your wireless router behind a microwave (or even TV for that matter), say goodbye to your signal! It sounds like more of a hassle than what it'd be worth...

Thanks for the responses, probably saved me from frying something ;) I only thought of the idea after noticing PCI ADSL cards, and assumed that a modem not connected to the motherboard and in the same case would be safer than a PCI card, but I'm guessing the PCI cards are specifically designed for such an environment. Guess my only real option is to switch to DSL and use PCI cards for the modem and wifi if I want a sleek all in one solution.

@ digip,

What modem do you have?

Motorola. Looks like a small square with holes in it, similar to this - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NsOiocBQR6A/Spi8TRa0LHI/AAAAAAAAChY/4vK5JMzBgkE/s400/Picture%2B008r.JPG

If I were you I'd change that out. I know just about every cable modem available and all about them. Motorola and RCA are by far the worst. Generally if your modem is generating heat then your upstream is a bit high. Check http://192.168.100.1 and look at your downstream and upstream power levels. I will guess that your upstream level is about a 52?

If I were you I'd change that out. I know just about every cable modem available and all about them. Motorola and RCA are by far the worst. Generally if your modem is generating heat then your upstream is a bit high. Check http://192.168.100.1 and look at your downstream and upstream power levels. I will guess that your upstream level is about a 52?

My stuffs all good bro..lol. Its an sb6120. They get a bit warm and we're running several computers and netflix dvd player 24/7. SB6120 uses Docsis 3 with 4 bonded channels down, its meant for high speeds. I get capped by comcast, but its capable of up to 60 down and 20 up, new I was getting 33 down and 10 up, now I get about 25 down and 3 up, but when on my VPN I get about 25-30 down and 10 up since I'm somehow closer to my VPN than I am to my ISP somewhere in line and the VPN upload speeds seem to bypass their cap somehow.

All devices generate heat, but nothing should ever be taken out of its grounded case, then shoved into a PC case and expect things to go well. Heat or no heat, its not grounded to the mobo and case and just makes for more chance of ESD and damaging both devices(*modem or pc)

vpn-speeds.png

Edited by digip

How the hell are you getting a better upload over a VPN? LOL. I'm not a big fan of any motorola cable modem, personally Arris, the Linksys and uBee D3's are much better and are less likely to become intermittent once their levels are a bit out of range.

I have a linksys modem and an rca(rca is a Thompson POS). The linksys, was fine for a number of years until Comcast flashed it with firmware revisions(downgrading the firmware) and then back again. They fucked it up, so had to buy a new one, and to be honest, the sb6120, is one of the fastest consumer modems out there. They make faster ones now, since I bought this a while back, but its pretty rock solid. Or was, until they flashed this one too about a month ago. They dumped a bunch of backdoor shit on it, like dropbear ssh, etc, so now, I VPN everything, because seriously, FUCK Comcast! They can eat a d!ck. I wish I had rooted it when i bought it, because I could have allowed config changes, but locked them out of the firmware updates. I'm just not good with jtag stuff and messign with electonics and I don;t have the right size tork bit to unscrew the case. I shold tear apart the old Linksys and mod it, but its a docsis 2.0 and not as fast as the sb6120.

I thought about modding my old surfboard, but I thought only the 5100 and 5101 were supported as far as jtagging? Given your response about regarding the firmware is why I stay away from motorola ;) All modems receive firmware updates, but motorola's are by far the worst as far as operational, at least in this area.