Hey-row to HAK5 this sunny, hot, Michigan day. I got an email (OH NO, AN EMAIL?!) stating that I was the winner of a brand new iPhone. Click this link to CLAIM MY PRIZE... and I delete before it is opened.

Now, I know all of you (being on this forum) should know that this is a S.E. trick that is in wide use. We all have gotten over the fact that the internet is not this glorious, clean, and SAFE environment. So, I thought to myself, why not pick apart what makes a GREAT SOCIAL ENGINEER?

Consider if you will (FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY), you completely wipe out any human compassion and, well, frankly just not give a good damn about anybody. I think that is the first step to making a great Social Engineer. You must look at nothing with an emotional capacity. That eliminates a good portion of us Technolusters'. I like helping people, and I was raised not to steal and to be kind. BUT, we all know that there are people out there that have this mentality of "GIMME GIMME GIMME", I think once that stigma is aligned right; it is time to look into Social Engineering.

What else does one need to become a callous, heartless, Social Engineer?

What else does one need to become a callous, heartless, Social Engineer?

Lack of other technical hacking skills : P

Many attacks require SE to a small degree, but it should be used as a method of last resort, I think a lot of other concepts are more important than SE.

Besides, there are probably more 'social engineers' hanging out in the front of your local liquor store than there are here!

Edited by bobbyb1980

Tech skills area given. If one can communicate with their victim, ie build a rapport; trusting the source is a key. You would not be the first to tell me SE is crap. I still feel that if one can communicate and be accepted on a sub conscience level, that allows MORE than tech hacking... that is human hacking... and NOT ONE person is the same...

I think being accepted on a sub conscience level is more important for getting laid than it is infosec. Companies today are starting to pump a lot resources into making sure their people don't fall for the cookie cutter SE attacks that are common in the wild.

I'm sure Chase and Wachovia have their phone's ringing off the hook with rich, eager, investor's who want you to click their link to "review their investment plan". Old trick. It's a necessary evil, and unfortunately a small amount of SE is required for most decent attacks, but programming and networking skills will carry you much further than any SE will.

If one can find a vulnerability, some will always exploit it. A con artist "Renting" a house and showing the mark that there are others that are interested in it... create pressure to make the mark feel ...::hey, I better act fast;;.. same as an attack through an email. Make them feel I have to click, accept, etc. Most people here know to do their homework. I think programming is an art form in itself, and if ya Do Not Throw Away Sausage Pizza, then you are on the right track for a super saiyan like powers. (Pushing glasses up bridge of nose)